You Can

atsandran31

I read this article and I agree with it. So many people claim to be SEO experts but there is nothing like practice to check what works and what doesn't.

Of course, it is good to do your homework and read before you start playing around.

Read the article here.

My suggestions would be to just open a "fake" website and play around with it, try new things and see how it works.

What do you think? I agree; I don't think you can truly learn anything by just reading about it, practical experience always helps round out one's understanding.

What worries me the most is that many read some obscure passage about "proven techniques" from God only knows where and then go on to regurgitate it everywhere online. In the world of SEO I swear there is literally more disinformation than truly helpful information.

SEO is Urban Legends for websites. It's a little like learning to swim by studying the various strokes in a book. Eventually you really do have to jump in the water and sink or swim. Nothing beats a good network of people sharing info and keeping it amongst themselves. Quote: Originally Posted by alter-ego I agree; I don't think you can truly learn anything by just reading about it, practical experience always helps round out one's understanding.

What worries me the most is that many read some obscure passage about "proven techniques" from God only knows where and then go on to regurgitate it everywhere online. In the world of SEO I swear there is literally more disinformation than truly helpful information.

SEO is Urban Legends for websites. I totally second your statement. There is a lot of misinformation out there and the best way to verify an information is either to read it from a very reliable source (which brings the question of how do you know a source is reliable) or to test it yourself.

SEO also moves pretty fast so something that you read might not be true anymore.

test, test, test....nothing beats that. Quote: Originally Posted by Cricket It's a little like learning to swim by studying the various strokes in a book. Eventually you really do have to jump in the water and sink or swim. exactly, expect that in SEO, if your website doesn't rank, you don't need a life guard to come and rescue you. Unless it's pamela anderson then it's another story Quote: Originally Posted by sitetutor Nothing beats a good network of people sharing info and keeping it amongst themselves. that's true. Sometimes, you just don't have time to test everything, especially in SEO with results not being instantaneous. Having a bunch of trustworthy friends testing thing can save you quite a bit of time.
However, once you will want to do it yourself, there will still be a learning curve. I tend to view many of todays seo's (when referring to a person) as search engine optimists as they're more likely to suggest ideas and methods read somewhere that they'd like to believe will work. If everyone's doing it, it must be right. I read a lot early on, but obtained the most knowledge from trial and error. Lucky it was with my own web properties and not those of others. Quote: Originally Posted by ~CReed I tend to view many of todays seo's (when referring to a person) as search engine optimists as they're more likely to suggest ideas and methods read somewhere that they'd like to believe will work. If everyone's doing it, it must be right. I read a lot early on, but obtained the most knowledge from trial and error. Lucky it was with my own web properties and not those of others. that's always a bonus! I will definitely need a menthor or someone who can show me some tricks. Somtimes i can be such a slow learner.. yes its true SEO cant be learn by only reading but you need to practically on websites and then see the results or see the problems faced in optimizing a quality website. You are right indeed. But we should be much knowledgeable for handling ftps / CMS admin panel to make any experiment over the site. So better is to first read some great SEO resources online thoroughly and then implement something on your own site being more sure about your subject.. Agree SEO is not the thing to learn in an Oxford library.... 100%. You have to figure it out somehow though, the trial and error comes from somewhere, like reading, for example, in most cases. It's like anything, its all well can good reading about it but you don't actually learn it till you put it into actions.