Yahoo/MSN link building strategy

reemnNoupAppofe

I'm getting ready to go live with a new site and need some advice on link building strategies. My goal is to get in the top 10 of Yahoo/MSN as quickly as possible (white hat only) and would appreciate if anyone sees any flaws with the way I am approching the link building campaign.

Basically, I've identified a competitor's site that was launched last year and has managed to rank in the top #10 for the same keyword. I've designed my site to almost duplicate the on-page SEO techniques and am planning on doing the same with the off-page optimization.

Basically, in terms of the competiting site's backlinks - a majority (about 90%) of the site's links are one-way with the rest being reciprocal. The PR's are fairly distributed between 0s and 4s. Also, as far as deep linking goes, the site has a deep link ratio of about 20%.

So, would it be wise to build m links using the above as a starting point?

The only other question I have is how quickly to build the links. Is there a limit to how many links should be built within the first few months after going live?

Any comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated. If you're just targeting Yahoo and MSN, I'd go the easiest route - sitewide links from related topic sites. Thanks, by the way is it true that it doesn't matter what the PR are for the backlinks for yahoo or MSN? PR3 links costs my 3x's as much as PR1 links, so would it be safe to just go with PR1 links? Quote: Originally Posted by avis Thanks, by the way is it true that it doesn't matter what the PR are for the backlinks for yahoo or MSN? PR3 links costs my 3x's as much as PR1 links, so would it be safe to just go with PR1 links? PR is a google measurement only.
Obviously high PR sites are probably more popular anyway so you are better off with links from them.
I wouldnt even pay for a PR1 link..