Working On Site While It Is Simultaneously Live?

windows

A few questions:<br /><br />(1) For privacy, while testing my web pages, how can I access a page so that it loads fine on my PC - but to anybody else who tries to view it they get some sort of error or message? i.e. what does my PHP code need to do in order to allow it to just work when I view it in my browser? (I know I can develop a site locally on my PC, but that is NOT what I want to do here - I wish to load the pages off my host's server - just as regular visitors would do.)<br /><br /><br />(2) I would like to continue development on my site, while a version of that site is also live. I want my site to be running 24/7, and don't want to shut it down to add updates or do maintenance. How do sites like Amazon.com, CNN.com etc. handle this sort of thing - does anybody have any advice on working with such a system - how is the switch over to updated code and database made? Can anybody point me to any articles, resources etc?<br /><br />(3) Anything else I should consider when developing a site that is simultaneously live - any other tips?<br /><br />Thanks in advance, Simon.<!--content-->
Well Simon, here are my two cents:<br />1 - You could create a development subdomain and make it protected. After your done, move it to it's defenite place, update menu if becessary etc...<br /><br />2 - I guess the sites mentioned use a content management system. This allows you to maintain and develop pages online and decide when they will available,active etc. Try this link for comparison of different CMS. <br />h**p://www.med-ia.ch/os-cms/<br /><br />3- This is the way I do it:<br /> * Create/edit pages on my local PC.<br /> * Upload it to a testing account. Partially I use my webspace I have with my ISP but that doesn't have all the features. You could also create a free account. There are several possibilities here but lycos is an alternative. You will get ads then but for development it's no problem.<br /> * Test the pages on a testing account (which could also be the former mentioned subdomain.<br />* Upload it to the production site.<br />I never have to take the site down but to be honest. This mentioned site doesn't have mysql and stuff..<br /><br />I hope it's a bit usefull to you!<br />Good luck!<!--content-->