Which Database engine is best?

Mo

which database engine is the most reliable, doesn't require a DBA to manage it. I ve been using informix and mySQL for many years I was thinking either upgrading to the latest versions. or Going into Perhaps Oracle or Ms SQL. any thoughts?<br />

IboNeh

Microsoft SQL is definitely good, but will cost you a fortune.
MySQL has become very powerful and pretty much supports everything MS SQL does.

Btw, MySQL to MS SQL migration maybe a little problem too, depending on the complexity of your Database.

palash909

hi
I use MS SQL Server2005(Express Edition). It is very easy to work and very helpful. It has many option and use for many new program.
If you like to create database, then i thought it is the best. you can download it free.
http//www.microsoft.com/express/download/

ScottP

Using Informix, yes that requires many DBA support, and upgrade it will be the easiest way (only less trouble on triggers, store procedures, and any additional processes....). But most of the dB's need DBA support. It dependents upon what type of the intensity of the data volume you are dealing with. Plus, the server you are running with your database. Oracle is expensive but maybe fit with your current scale easily. If price is not the concern, go for Oracle dB. The question with MS SQL, do you thing they have lower rate on server crushes??? MS tend to leave many holes in their design, and MS has add their design to SQL server for a while. The new dB user interfaces make all of the dB's easier to manage. My choice 1 is upgrade Informix, next is Oracle, and you name the third.