Which country has the highest number of women in politics? ?

Jo

<br />
<br />
Here is a great article - <br />
http//www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/26/AR2008102602197_3.html?referrer=emailarticlesid=ST2008051504314s_pos=In some quarters of ...society -- particularly among older men and Hutu men...the policy is viewed with faint suspicion. Maybe now that women have more than 50 percent in parliament, it could be a big problem, said Thomas Habumuisha, 29, who was out shopping with a friend on Saturday. Maybe women could take advantage and oppress men.<br />
<br />
His friend, Muhire Bitorwa, whose wife, a teacher, is helping pay his way through Kigali University, nodded politely, but disagreed. <br />
<br />
In my view, women are more reasonable, more merciful and less corrupt than men, he offered. And culturally, women have not been recognized.<br />
<br />
So far, most people have been happy with having so many women in politics. What do you think? Will women oppress men? <br />
<br />
Are you surprised which country has so many females in politics? <br />
Suer - if giving ONE example of a bad leader is indicative of the whole gender, what would stop us of saying Hitler is indicative of male leadership????<br />

maggieg

That is funny, I just had a conversation today with my father. He told me the country with the most elected females in government office by percentage was Norway. This is at all levels though, does this refer just to parliament?

Sauer

Women in politics will only care about women. Just look various feminist organizations (like NOW for example) and you'll see what it'll be like if women are in power.In my view, women are more reasonable, more merciful and less corrupt than men,

LOL!, consider the fact that Philippine (a country that have a female president) is the most corrupted country in Asia right now, that basically destroy that argument.

Blah

Women make up the majority of the voting block in most democratic nations. I would guess India, since it has the largest population among them.

SP

By Rwandan law, at least a third of representatives must be female, this coupled with the genocide, doesn't make it too surprising that Rwanda's parliament has the most female representatives.