What is your favorite telescope design?

suitti

And why?<br />
<br />
I used to think my favorite design was called Schiefspiegler. But now i'm thinking it's an offset Newtonian. If you use an offset mask on a regular Newtonian, you get the effect i'm looking for. Unobstructed reflector. Its a simple, low cost design with the advantages of a APO refractor. High contrast, sharp images.<br />
<br />
http//seds.org/~spider/scopes/schiefi.html<br />
<br />
On the other hand, i have a Newtonian, and several binocular style refractors.<br />
I'm not a huge fan of Cassegrains. They are more compact, and might fit in my car, but even a 10 inch is a monster to get onto the tripod. And then there's cost. An 8 inch Cassegrain is more expensive than a 10 in Newtonian. Yet, their compactness makes for easier and better astrophotography. My 10 inch Newtonian fits in my car and has quick setup.<br />
The offset that i'm talking about doesn't require high focal length or focal ratio. Let's say you want a 10 inch offset scope with a 4 inch offset. You start with a 28 inch mirror, and cut a 10 inch circle starting at one edge. The center of focus is now 4 inches outside the mirror, so you can put an eyepiece there and neither it nor your head is in the optical path. No astigmatism, etc. And, you have the portability of a 10 inch. And this is the kind of thing you get with an offset mask. But my 10 Newtonian lets me have maybe a 3.25 inch offset mask without any obstructions. That's a 3.25 inch APO reflector (82 mm). An 80 mm APO (without tripod) is maybe $650 - which is more than a 10 Newtonian. I'd rather have a 10 reflector, though.<br />
I just picked up some 10x50 binoculars at a sporting goods store for $25. The optics appear good. Though i have a good tripod, i'm working on an alternative mount - a DIY project.<br />
Please, please, please do not buy a telescope at Walmart. It will turn you off to the hobby. Wobbly mount, frustrating focuser, eyepieces way overpowered for the aperture, finder scope that is hard to align to the main scope, and doesn't stay aligned, and so on. If you've only got $25, go to a sporting goods store, pick up some 10x50's, keep the receipt, check to see if they're aligned at night on real stars, and treat them like fragile delicate glass art work (since that's what they are). Get the best tripod you can afford, or build something.<br />
Corolus you've got binoculars like the Keck and LBT. That's twin telescopes that happened to be aligned with each other.<br />
<br />
The HST is a Richie Chretien telescope design. You can get ground based models for much less than $10 billion.<br />

I'm a huge fan of Cassegrains, especially with Richie chretien optics,

I love the compact design, the huge collecting area and the general mobility you enjoy from even a relatively large model.

Of course My experience with many other types is somewhat limited.

And yeah, who can beat a top notch pair of binoculars for casual observing? )

GeoffG

Probably the Newtonian, because of its simplicity, comfortable eyepiece position, and lack of chromatic aberration. Though I've owned and used all the major types, and find that most of them do the job. I've got a soft spot for the Maksutov-Newtonian, because the 6-inch Orion Mak-Newt I own has absolutely superb optics.

TinaL

i'm fond of the classic nuts and bolts scopes - newtonians, refractors. an apo is a nice thing to have (i have one -).

my big dob fits in my van. i made ramps to load and unload it with its wheelbarrow handles. it's really cool.

there are applications for other sorts of telescopes. my travel scope is a schmidt-cassegrain, very compact, with acceptable (but not spectacular) optical performance.

as always, the very best telescope is the one that gets you out under the stars.

TomE

A 10 inch f/5 Newtonian would be my choice; the offset you mention could be fine in an f/6 or greater. Any faster and I'd worry about distortion. Parks builds a quality, affordable f/5. Clear skies!

Charles

I really enjoy the 10 dob I own. For casual observations, it is easy to transport, set up, cool down, and use. That and a pair of binocs make a great combination. I get limited enjoyment from long focal length scopes, so I do not find refractors particularly pleasurable; but that is just me.

HTH

Charles

keithw1970

Unfortunately, I do not have a telescope of my own...YET. But, I would either plan to get 1 since Walmart has them on sale during the Holidays, or any one in my family might gets me one on my birthday or Christmas this year or the next. Besides, I don't care what brand name or size I want anyway. But still, I did have 1 back in my teenage years nearly 20 yrs.ago.

Carolus

I'm not into telescopes yet. I'm afraid if I ask you for telescope advice you might suggest the HST lol!

I'm into binoculars, it's getting really addicting. I think I might take on my dad's hobby. I'm looking at all these fine binoculars in a catalog and makes me want to save up and collect some. I'm still learning Roof or Porro? And things like coating etc...

After buying huge binocular I realized I want something portable. I like my big binocs though lol, it's fun.

cc

First off, why would anyone buy a telescope at Walmart? I would have to say a newtonian. I don't have one yet, but I've tried them out at some star parties.

Larry454

Hi Suitti -

I know you aren't crazy about SCTs, but I must tell you why I like my C-11 so much. I think I have different criteria than you do, and that in itself is at least worthy of discussion

1. Since my scope is on a German equatorial mount, no single component weighs more than 38 lbf. It's easy to set up and take down and easy to transport.
2. Since it has a clock drive, I can use it to show people stuff they didn't know was there. That's my favorite part of the hobby. In fact, I can set it on a target and let an entire classroom take a look without having to re-center the image. That's why I prefer it over a Dob, for example.
3. Since it does not have a computer finder, I have learned the sky pretty darn well, and that also comes in handy when novices ask questions.
4. Since I have invested in excellent eyepieces, I find that the optics are excellent. Fantastic, in fact.
5. The 11 inch aperture is essential for seeing faint objects. Since I am not (yet) into astrophotography, I need the aperture to get a good look at some of my favorite targets.

Frankly, when I get this scope into a dark sky situation with a primo eyepiece, it never fails to show stunning views of all sorts of objects, and it delivers with ease to all of the friends I haven't met yet that have never seen M13 (for example). It is a joy to own.