What is a template and style?

Years ago I used to make "skins" for another forum brand. It involved making new images and editing the color codes and that was it. I would like to make a new "skin" for a friend that will be using vB 3.7 but I'm not very familiar with vB and the newer forum software in general. I just installed Apache/PHP/MySQL on my server so I can test my work as I go along.

My question is this...what is a template and what is a style?

I've tried searching for a specific answer but found nothing. What I found from reading posts both here and in my other online searches is that a style is the appearance of the forums. That is, what you see - the images and the colors. Is this correct?

What I think I have learned about a template is that it is the code that displays the various items on the page, including the dimensions, color codes?, and locations of those items. The items being things that define the forum itself. Is this correct?

I'm not asking for detailed instructions because I'd rather learn on my own. I just need a little guidance in the proper direction to get started.

A quick look at the AdminCP shows that I can change colors of backgrounds of the various forums, etc. and other things. Between that and the images, is there anything else I need to change to give his forum a new look? For now, it is a basic color change and image swap I intend to do.

One more thing. Once I get things looking how I want them on my server, what do I need to do to get him the files? Is it a simple Styles & Templates /Download / Upload Styles/Download with Get customizations made in this style and all parent styles and then give him the images folder from my server to import and upload to his server?

Thank you very much for any help.