USB Printers and Microsoft SFU 3.5

liunx

PROBLEM printing from with Microsoft's SFU (Services For UNIX) to USB connected printers.<br /><br />This problem concerns a continual failure in printing to USB connected printers either direct or networked from either within code with a system call of the type <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--> system("lp -d printer_name <filename>"); <!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> or direct from a c-shell prompt with or without environment variables of PLDEST, LP_PRINT, PRINTER being set.<br /><br />Printing to legacy connections serial or centronics is no problem, printing to USB printers fails with the error message "Unable to initialize device <printer_name>".<br /><br />The lp command in the system call is C code and is 100% standard. The problem seems to be the same as experienced when trying to print from DOS programmes to USB devices. Anyone out there know of a fix as I suspect that the print.exe command in the windows\system32 directpry is to blame.<br /><br />Not a technical how do I code this but a more of a systems failure. I have failed to find a solution on the MSDN.
</div>