[Upload Problem] Is there a way to unzip/merge files online?

liunx

Hello everyone. =)<br />
<br />
There's a video I want to put on my website; it's about 20 MB. The problem is, whenever I try to use either of my FTP programs (FileZilla and CoreFTP), the file always gets interrupted at around 12 MB. I've tried uploading the file about 10 times, and I keep having this problem.<br />
<br />
So...I was wondering if there's a way I can break the file up (into, say, twenty 1 MB files), upload those segmented files, and then merge them together online? I don't want my friends to Download <!--more--> 20 individual files (that's a bit much, don't you think?); I'd like for them to just Download <!--more--> that one, full size video. Plus, I won't be too pissed if a 1 MB file messes up. =)<br />
<br />
Do you know of any software (or websites) that can do this? (I found one website today called Wobzip (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wobzip.zitr.us/">http://wobzip.zitr.us/</a><!-- m -->), but I'm not 100% certain it'll do what I want. I'm kinda confused with some of the terminology...)<br />
<br />
Please help. =(Thanks in advance!)<!--content-->If it's just for friends then upload to a gmail account and give your friends the Download <!--more--> links to the video files.<!--content-->Contact your hosting provider. I don't see why there should be a filesize limit on uploading via FTP. Unless you've reached your hosting's max webspace.<!--content-->@Fang: I was thinking about using MegaUpload or something like that, but I'd still like to know if what I'm requesting can be done.<br />
<br />
@TheRave: I don't think it's my host's fault; there's either an issue with my internet connection or my computer itself is acting up. Either way, it's annoying.<!--content-->Are you using dial-up? Some service providers require 'action' every so many minutes (uploading/Download <!--more-->ing not considered 'action'), -like, wiggling the mouse/pointer tool, actual navigation through 'click', etc. I had that problem with Sympatico back when we were on dial-up... if you didn't sit right there and suffer the upload/Download <!--more--> duration with 'moving the mouse' once or twice every 3 or 4 minutes, it would hang-up & boot you offline. It was frustrating. Also, FTP has options for "passive mode" and "local connection"... have you experimented with changes to those?<br />
<br />
Consider: -do you know anyone with dsl or other cable modem? Provide them with your FTP data & file(s) and let them upload to your host for you. <br />
<br />
There ARE programs that you can Download <!--more--> that mimic 'user activity' and prevent this 'inactivity penalty'. I forget what they are called, but I found them at either tucows.com, or maybe majorgeeks.com. They are freeware, btw.<!--content-->That's just it; I have broadband, not dial-up. I know this problem is common with dial-up, but it's never happened before with my broadband. =(<!--content-->Often with 'broadband' dsl, there is a problem with not using "passive mode". I have had to use the 'passive mode' button on my FTP client when uploading to some client's FTP site/s. Can you try that next? :)<br />
<br />
My FTP client, "miFILES", will break the connection in something like 30-seconds if not either uploading/Download <!--more-->ing so they consider uploading/Download <!--more-->ing as 'action', but I recently had to upload to a client's site and my FTP *refused* to stay connected for more than a minute or two... "connection lost", etc.<br />
I engaged the "passive mode" check-box and voila... problem solved. (and I read about this after I posted you last time and confirmed my suspicion).<br />
<br />
:)<!--content-->Thank you all for the responses....unfortunately, none of them really addressed my issue (I ended up calling my broadband provider, plus I used another website to upload the video)...but thank you nonetheless. ^^<br />
<br />
I have another question (on a different subject; I didn't want to "pollute" the forum with another thread, LOL...but if it shouldn't go here, then please let me know).<br />
<br />
I'm trying to make a news scroller on my website, and one of the items in the scroller will reference a webpage (that I want to open in a popup) The problem is, I can't get the popup feature to work inside of it properly...in fact, when I use the code, it makes everything on my page completely disappear!<br />
<br />
The code I use basically looks like this (I haven't uploaded it to my site yet; I'm still "testing" things on my computer):<br />
<br />
(NOTE: I took -- and modified -- the JavaScript "trick/event" from this page (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://javascript.internet.com/text-effects/ajscroller.html">http://javascript.internet.com/text-eff ... oller.html</a><!-- m -->).)<br />
blue = the variable's name, taken from the above trick<br />
red = the part I added that's making my page have an error<br />
<br />
<br />
aj_scroller.add('<font size="2" face="Verdana"><center><font color="red"><b><u>December 26, 2007</u></b></font></center>We've now added a few new surprises to the site! <a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"#" class="pic3" onClick="window.open('_news/site-additions.html', 'news', config='height=350,width=600, toolbar=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no, resizable=yes,location=no, directories=no, status=no')"><u>click here)</u></a> to learn more!!</font>');<!--content-->