Strongly Typed DataSet with a set of TableAdapters per database provider?

Lying

I want a strongly-typed DataSet along with designer TableAdapters, but Visual Studio's DataSet designer generates provider-specific (e.g. SQL Server vs. MySql) code and I don't want to commit to just one provider. An ORM would help, but:
  • Entity Framework is 3.5 only and doesn't play nice with DataSets, and
  • NHibernate doesn't support SQLite.
Here's what I've come up with:"DataSets.Masters" contains a completely designed DataSet bound to some particular provider (e.g. SqlClient), including:
  • a CustomTableAdapter component, subclassed by each designer TableAdapter,
  • an ITableAdapterManager interface, implemented by designer's TableAdapterManager for hierarchical updates.
Everything except the DataSets.MyDataSetTableAdapters namespace is copied into the "DataSets" project, where all the TableAdapter code (along with xs:annotation) is removed.The DataSets.MyDataSetTableAdapters namespace, along with MyDataSet.xsd etc., is copied and customized into each of "DataSets.SqlClient", "DataSets.SQLite", etc. each of which references the "DataSets" assembly.Now I just have to choose the right assembly to load my ITableAdapterManager implementation from, based on any given connection string. When the table schema changes, I modify the Masters assembly, copy code to the production assemblies, and run a few tests.So my question: am I making this too difficult? DataSets are so standard, and the need to support multiple database engines via the data access layer is so common, is there a method that doesn't involve copy, paste, and search & replace? What do you do?