Spamless Email Link

liunx

Here in sweden we have a government-site who recommends us to add this in to fields when registering for newsletters etc on websites.<br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->name[at]domain[dot]se<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br />Now to my question, would this way of writing my email work if i used in a<br />emaillink too?<!--content-->
Thomas, that way of writing your email is normally used to thwart programs from collecting and distributing your email address. Its used in places like NewsGroups and places where text is displayed in public areas.<br /><br />There are programs that are run that can quickly read these areas and they collect email addresses based on the "format" of a normal email, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->, and then they sell them to spammers.<br /><br />Using the "at" instead of "@" and "dot" instead of "." is used to avoid detection. <br /><br />Now actually the answer is yes, using that in a "link" "may" stop a program from collecting that address...but why put it in if its not going to perform its function? The idea of an email link is to email and without the proper format its not going to send to who you want.<!--content-->
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that way of writing your email is normally used to thwart programs from collecting and distributing your email address<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That i know/figured, so that is why i asked if i could make a link on my site (for instance) using that way and let people email me as easy as they do today but at same time giving these programs a little tougher job.<br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but why put it in if its not going to perform its function<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br />This means above idea will not work?<!--content-->
If you want the email to work you need to use the correct format, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --><br /><br />If you want the address to be hidden from detection use the "at" and "dot".<br /><br />The "at" and "dot" will NOT be delivered to an email address and will not work. <br /><br />You could leave instructions around the link explaining how to change the address to one that will work. But if I go somewhere and click on an email link I expect the information to be correct and working. Having to go and edit the address will be a hassle and I'd probably say the heck with it and not bother with it.<!--content-->
How come that whats posted in <a href="http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4585" target="_blank">this thread</a> works then?<br />Note: I havent tried it myself, i纾