Purchasing space on web hosting. What is the difference between "domain register only" and "build a

afterRain

I'm looking to rent some space on A2 hosting.<br />
I need to have php and postgresql.<br />
<br />
But, now that I'm trying to make a purchase, it's asking me to select "domain register only" or "build a package"???<br />
<br />
If I chose "domain register only", I won't get php and postgresql??? I'm just gonna own the domain that I make up the name for??? Is that the difference???<br />
<br />
And, with "build a package", I'll gain access to php and postgresql???<br />
<br />
I'm thinking this b/c "build a package" causes more than "domain register only".<br />
<br />
thanks in advance!<br />

DanielB

I am not familiar with this service but to me it sounds like "domain register only" is just registering a new domain name, it's not going to provide a site to host your web pages on. I would look at the "build a package" option.

justJR

A "domain registry" will only register the name of your domain to your name. It does NOT provide a website service.
A "package" will register your domain and provide some server space to build and upload your website. THERE (on the server), you will have php and, most likely, mySQL.
Domain and servers are TWO different things! The server is a physcial computer. The domain is a line in a telephone book that says "this domain is accessible at that particular IP address" (the physical location of your server).
You can buy many domains and NOT have any servers! This is called "Domain Brokers" they buy "names", a lot of them. These names cannot be used by anyone else. If you want one of these names, you have to buy it from them! (Some domain names are extremely expensive...)

DavidG

As you may know a domain name is just a name, not a real website. If you are going to create your website 1- Buy a domain name. 2- Buy a web hosting service to provide your online space and enable you to get your website online at your purchased domain name.
If you want to start your website I recommend purchase your domain and hosting together. In this way it is possible to get your domain for free. Some hosting services offer this gift today.
One of these services is reachable at http//bluehost-service.atspace.com . Their service is really great and easy to use. This company offers "Free Site Builder" that helps you build your web pages without difficulty if you are not skilled in using any website creating program. (WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get).

adam

To make a website you need a domain and webhosting.The best way to buy a domain for free is to purchase your domain and webhosting together. In this way it is possible to get your domain for free. Some webhosting companies offer this as a gift .Bluehost is the best one

http//www.bluehost.com/track/bluehostwebhosting/