Purchasing a website url

When considering to purchase a website url. What considerations should you take into account and what factors would be the most important to look at?<!--content-->
kdarrell,<br /><br />So are you purchasing a developed website, or just the domain? <br /><br />Purchasing a domain is tricky to do right, but purchasing a website is extremely hard to do right. That is because you are not just purchasing a site. You are purchasing a business with all of its problems and inside secrets. You must trust the word of your seller even if you do have a purchase agreement that is heavily protective of the buyer. What if your seller says the business style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /><!--content-->
Price is big, but not the biggest. The biggest thing is looking into how good the domain registration companies customer support is. If it's not good, don't register. I would go for go-daddy. I know it's the same price as the usually domain, not any big discounts, but they do have A+ customer support and are very reliable and can be set with almost any host out there.<!--content-->
Seems like GoDaddy is the best seller or at the very least the style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /><!--content-->
Hey there, I'm not sure if this post is related to your post about your freewebs website, but if it is, it sounds to me like you want to change the url for your existing website. You can do that easily right in your site manager of your free webs account. It's the link that says " .com it" .<br /><br />You can also do a url redirect. Here is a cheap target="_blank">http://www.mydomain.com/ <br /><br />But there are definitely others out there. Another one I have used that is alittle pricy but good is <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.register.com">www.register.com</a><!-- w --> (this one you can get urls, emails etc) with them.<br /><br />Good luck to you.<!--content-->
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I was talking about my freewebs that I have now. As some people pointed out in here, people seeing a freewebsite url might make people think what I'm trying to do is a scam. So I just wondered what would be the best and cheapest way for me to start to look legit. Again, I appreciate all the help and the link you posted.<!--content-->
I know that freewebs tries to sell you a domain through their own service - which costs quite a bit. Can you just do the redirect or domain forwarding from a domain name to your freewebs account? I buy mine at cheap-domainregistration.com - 7.95 each for .com and no problems in about 7 years.<!--content-->
If you are talking about purchasing a domain name, then I think I can assist you. The following is for you.<br /><br />When selecting a name it is important to consider the purpose of a domain name, which is to provide people an easy way to reach your web site. Some of my tips for a good domain name is :<br /><br />Short - People don't like to type! The shorter your domain, the easier it is to reach and the less are the chance the user will make a typographical error while typing it.<br /><br />Meaningful - A short domain is nothing without meaning, 34i4nh69.com is only 8 characters long but would not be easy to enter or remember. Select a domain that relates to your site in a way that people will understand.<br /><br />Clear - Clarity is important when selecting a domain name. You should avoid selecting a name that is difficult to spell or pronounce. Also, pay close attention to how your domain sounds and how effectively it can be communicated over the phone.<br /><br />Exposure: Just like premium real-estate on the ground that gets the most exposure, names that are short and easy to remember are an asset. In addition to humans viewing your domain, you should consider search engines. Search engines index your site and rank it for relevance against terms people search for online. In order to maximize your sites exposure, consider including a relevant search term in your domain. Of course, this should only be considered if it still maintains a short, clear and meaningful domain.<!--content-->
from your question, it's not immediately clear if you're asking what URL to register, OR which domain registrar to use.<br /><br />here's a quick and dirty reply to both.<br /><br />1) domain name:<br />you need to ensure your keyword is in your URL if you'd like to attract organic traffic.<br />hence logos, designs, graphic design should be in there if you'd like to attract that type of traffic.<br /><br />you can go to inventory.overture.com and enter your keywords, it'll show you the number of searches done per month.<br /><br />then you can go to google and google for the same keywords.<br /><br />this gives you the RS ratio (results - search). you'd ideally want about 5000 searches and a RS ratio of 300 or less.<br /><br />this is basic SEO, but if you want more advanced stuff, there are a number of products to look at.<br /><br />---<br />2) domain name registrar.<br /><br />i have a major problem with godaddy.<br />i have heard from a number of internet marketers during periods of product launches, when you might have 100,000 visitors or more a day, godaddy automatically assumes you either are the target or the initiator of a DoS (denial of service) attack.<br /><br />in some cases, i've heard they either freeze your domain, or take it back.<br /><br />either way, will lose you quite big amounts of revenue.<br /><br />although i have about 20 domains at godaddy, i'm gradually migrating them to namecheap.com<br /><br />this is the URL and their coupon codes:<br />namecheap<br />Yaffaspecial - $0.90 off domain registration and renewal.<br />net price: 7.98<br /><br />MORE4LESS - $0.89 off .com domain registration.<br />net price: 7.99<br /><!--content-->
Usually you should look at price, length of domain (in years), and what you will also receive with the domain.<!--content-->
Helpful info here, guys. Thanks.<br /><br />I was considering GoDaddy...I will consider something else.<!--content-->