Problem with VBSEO

Webdude

I am having troubles on GOOGLE's side of things when it comes to my VBSEO, according to VBSEO google is being pinged but according to google there is errors as my sitemap is not xml!

So how do I submit my vbseo file to google?

I tried /archive/index.php and that returns the error : Unsupported file format.

Grinderhand

Check your .htaccess file. If you find a line that is:

Code:
RewriteRule ^((urllist|sitemap_).*\.(xml|txt)(\.gz)?)$ vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]

change it to:

Code:
RewriteRule ^((urllist|sitemap).*\.(xml|txt)(\.gz)?)$ vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]

Then tell Google the url to your sitemap is http://yourforumurl/sitemap_1.xml.gz and/or http://yourforumurl/sitemap_index.xml.gz

The rewrite rule will redirect Google to the correct url if you installed the sitemap generator in your forum root as you should have. Hope that helps.

Webdude

Ok i tried that and get the following now when trying to tell them where it is:

General HTTP error: 404 not found
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.

Grinderhand

You did run the sitemap generator to generate the sitemap files, correct? Make sure you see the sitemap_1.xml.gz, sitemap_index.xml.gz and urllist.txt.gz in the yourforumurl/vbseo_sitemap/data directory. Don't look for them in your browser: the .htaccess where those files live deny everyone access. Look for the files in cPanel. If they're not there, either your config file is set up to generate them elsewhere of you haven't run the generator.

If you still have trouble submitting to Google, make sure everything on your end is right and try again tomorrow. Google's submission process gets errors stuck in it craw sometimes and refuses to believe you fixed things once it encounters an error.

Webdude

So when submitting to google does it have to be like this

MYURL/vbseo_sitemap/data/sitemap_index.xml.gz

as i see them files you mentioned but google gives me "General HTTP error: HTTP 403 error (Forbidden)".

Oh and I must mention, as i forgot before. I am using just the sitemap generator thing of theirs not the full vbseo product. According to the sitemap generator my site map should be at http://www.mydomain.co.uk/sitemap_index.xml.gz but it aint.

Webdude

Oh and I must mention, as i forgot before. I am using just the sitemap generator thing of theirs not the full vbseo product.

Grinderhand

So when submitting to google does it have to be like this

MYURL/vbseo_sitemap/data/sitemap_index.xml.gz

Submit this to Google:

MYURL/sitemap_index.xml.gz

They're not actually in that location, but the rewrite rule in .htaccess will redirect the Google sitemap bot to the proper location.

Grinderhand

If you go to http://yoururl/sitemap_index.xml.gz and you get a "page not found" error, then either you have the sitemap generator misconfigured, your .htaccess file is not working or not present in your forum root or you have not run the generator to produce the files.

If, however, you see the sitemap file displayed, then the problem is Googles, not yours.

Webdude

I have ran what I need to and it even says its generated the sitemap but its just not found :(

In the data folder I see the files you mentioned above and I even get emails saying that the sitemap has been generated along with its stats of threads and posts etc but going to http://url/sitemap_index.xml.gz still gives a 404 to me and to Google.

Here is what it says when I run the generator:

[homepage] [4,419.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] forumdisplay [4,419.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 1, total threads: 0, pages: 1 [4,419.8Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 3, total threads: 5, pages: 1 [4,420.4Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 2, total threads: 26, pages: 2 [4,421.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 4, total threads: 1, pages: 1 [4,421.7Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 5, total threads: 0, pages: 1 [4,422.4Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 6, total threads: 4, pages: 1 [4,422.4Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 28, total threads: 3, pages: 1 [4,422.7Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 7, total threads: 0, pages: 1 [4,423.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 8, total threads: 20, pages: 1 [4,423.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 31, total threads: 2, pages: 1 [4,424.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 30, total threads: 25, pages: 2 [4,424.5Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 23, total threads: 10, pages: 1 [4,424.9Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 24, total threads: 5, pages: 1 [4,425.3Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 9, total threads: 7, pages: 1 [4,425.8Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 10, total threads: 20, pages: 1 [4,426.2Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 26, total threads: 7, pages: 1 [4,426.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 11, total threads: 38, pages: 2 [4,427.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 12, total threads: 0, pages: 1 [4,427.5Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 13, total threads: 8, pages: 1 [4,427.9Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 14, total threads: 1, pages: 1 [4,428.4Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 15, total threads: 4, pages: 1 [4,428.9Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[forumdisplay] forum_id: 16, total threads: 3, pages: 1 [4,429.3Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] showthread [4,429.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[archive homepage] [4,830.3Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] forumdisplay archived [4,830.3Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] showthread archived [4,844.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] member [5,062.0Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] polls [5,071.1Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] albums [5,079.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] groups [5,079.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[SECTION START] tags [5,079.6Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[create sitemap file] filename: sitemap_1.xml.gz, number of urls: 1705 [4,428.7Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[create sitemap in text format] part #2 [4,428.7Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
[create sitemap index] filename: sitemap_index.xml.gz, number of sitemaps: 1 [4,429.3Kb mem used] [0s (+0s)]
Sitemap has been created. Click here to return [4,431.2Kb mem used] [1s (+1s)]

I am running:
vBSEO Google/Yahoo Sitemap Generator v2.2

So its definitely putting a sitemap somewhere....

Webdude

better than that, i've attached it for you, i had to rename it to .txt for it to upload here though. And also here is the email i got on the last auto generate:

Hello!

The vBSEO Google/Yahoo Sitemap has been successfully generated for your vBulletin forums at:
MyURL's Title - (http://www.myurl.co.uk)

Report:
============================
Click the following link for your vBSEO Google/Yahoo Sitemap Report:
http://www.myurl.co.uk/vbseo_sitemap/

Summary:
Forum Display: 25
Show Thread: 244
Show Post: 1194
Member Profiles: 18
Poll Results: 8
Archive: 219

Total Indexed URLs: 1705
Total Processing Time: 0.93 seconds

Google ping: Successful.
Yahoo ping: Successful.
Ask ping: Successful.
Moreover ping: Successful.
Live.com ping: Successful.

Note for vBSEO users: This version of the sitemap generator works with vBSEO 2.4.1 up.

Grinderhand

Try this line before the rewrite rule line:

Code:
RewriteEngine On
Save your new .htaccess file in your forum root and then try to access your sitemap files in your browser.

Grinderhand

Yep, normal. The _1 file is a more detailed version of the _index file. Now you just gotta wait for G to index your sitemap. Took 'em 3-4 days for mine.

Cheers!

Webdude

They already have:

Sitemap type Web
Format Sitemap Index
Submitted Nov 9, 2008
Last downloaded by Google 20 hours ago
Status OK
Total URLs in Sitemap 1709