PR questions

higuypoe

1) was the PR system recalibrated somehow? I was trying for months to get my site from a 4 to a 5... this last update, it jumped from that 4 all the way to a 6! at first I was really surprised, but when I looked at other similar sites, a LOT of them had moved from 4 to 5... was like like a "micro-effect"? or did google make some big change?2) like I said, my PR is 6... but it doesn't seem to be helping my search engine placement for the main page. VERY few Final Fantasy sites have a 6 for a PR (under a dozen for sure), and we just got one. however, we're like on page 8 or so on google- even page 4's are coming before us. why is this? has the PR been updated but not the search index?3) does the difference in PR matter if you don't "hit the next tier"? ie, if I get a bunch more inbound links- but I'm still a PR 6, not a 7- will it still help my placement or does it only matter once I hit that tier?PR is one of about 100 factors for placing pages in the index. How are you on keywords, link text, description, page content?Make sure you content is unique....there's speculation of an algo tweak running rampant that's taking down a lot of sites that are reusing content.http://www.ffshrine.org is the sitecompared to most final fantasy sites, we've got a TON of unique content. my main question is, though, do the search results update at the same time as the PR updates? or may I still be getting a bump soon?Quote:what is rp (did you mean pr?) and serps?thanks for the reply though. there's no chance that my PR will move me up in the rankings, but it just hasn't been updated then?SERPs = search engine result pagesdon't feel bad google has no idea either...search for define:serps.IMO...PR will help you in the rankings but only so much. You have as much as your competitors so you're good in that area....but there are lots of other factorslike what exactly? I've worked a lot on the PR and inbound links since that's what I've heard was important... I don't exactly get what I should do next. x_Xand when I look at search engines other than google, I'm not doing so hot compared to my rivals. how is getting high in other SE's different?I checked some of you backlinks and they were all using FF Shrine as the link text. This could improve. Look at what the competition is doing. What term are you trying to rank for?You could use some alt tags on you images. You have no keyword tag on any of you pages.Your description could be more on topic: "A Final Fantasy site focusing on delivering media, information, and an enjoyable community."Try:"A Final Fantasy site offering games, contests, Final Fantasy Makeover, US Concert, and mail bag."This would be more relevant to your page since you mention most of those things in your body content.For higher PR try for more quality link partners for reciprocal linking.Cheers,phaugh wrote:You'll be fine with less than 50 reciprocal links, probably good until about 100. After that, I know that some sites have been penalized or even banned by google --- if you think about it, what are the chances that EVERY site you link too, links back, with few other sites that don't link to you?Of course, you can have an infinity of sites linking to you out of their own free will...