"Please wait..." or "Loading Data..." Popup window

liunx

I use a script uploads a spreadsheet via html form. The form calls the next script and gathers input from the spreadsheet and cross-references with a database.

The thing is, it takes quite a while before the referencing is done and so takes the latter script time to complete. When the script is done, it shows a upload successful or problems encountered in a popup window.

But while that is happening, sometimes it takes a while if there is a lot of data in the uploaded sheet, while you wait you see a small blank popup window with the title about: Microsoft Internet Explorer.

This makes the user sometimes think something is wrong or confused, especially if it takes a while for the script to process.

Can someone tell me how to put a "loading..." or "please wait..." message while the script is doing its work?

Thanks.

I use the ff: form to call the upload and process the next script.
-----------------
<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="ProcessData.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="officer" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="report" value="$data_entry">
<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="1000000">

<input name="userfile" type="file"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Upload Worksheet">
</form>
--------------you could put a simple alert on the submit button, so the user knows the browser has recognised the submit. something like:

<input type="submit" value="upload" onclick="alert('Your data is being processed. This may take a minute or two.');" />You can reply at the point the upload is complete with a status page that refreshes periodically (10 secs?).