Playing other region games?

sn0zb0z

I've read that the PS1, if chipped, can play NTSC games on a PAL system. However, my TV is not 60hz (and I'm not buying a new TV) so what would I need to allow it to play as the chances are they would be in black and white or just not play at all?<br />
<br />
And don't tell me to buy a PS3 or anything. It doesn't help the reason for wanting to know this and I do have other consoles. I don't want to play PS1 games on my PC either. Just PS1 games on my PS1 console<br />
I get that tycoonfacey. I know it has to be 60hz, that's my problem. I also know that I could still play a PS2 from the US provided I have some other hardware that changes the signal or whatever. Would this be the same for the PS1 or is there something else?<br />

tycoonfacey

NTSC stands for National Television Systems Committee and uses 525 lines and a 60Hz field frequency. This means that an electronic gun fires a beam at the back of the screen illuminating phosphor dots one at a time. To create a clear picture all 525 lines are updated 60 times in one second.

In short, even if you chipped your PS1, you would need a 60Hz TV to play the NTSC games.

Pete_iso_shaw

You can buy ntsc to pal converters, but in my experience cheap ones do a poor job & good ones cost a fortune.

P.s. your tv must be ancient my old cheapo one could play ntsc no probs.