~ Paths resolved differently after upgrading to ASP.NET 4

propsta

We're upgrading a large system to ASP.NET 4, and we've discovered a strange issue with the way paths starting with \[code\]~\[/code\] are resolved for some of our Ajax requests. Our Ajax requests use Server.Execute, and the pages they execute have paths that start with ~. However, in ASP.NET 4, it seems like this path is being resolved incorrectly, treating "MyService.aspx/MyMethod" as if MyService.aspx was a folder. This is different to ASP.NET 3.5.I've created a small sample to show the issue.I've managed to reproduce the issue in a small sample:~/Default.aspx\[code\]<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %><html><head runat="server"> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.google.com/jsapi"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> google.load("jquery", "1.6.4"); </script></head><body><script type="text/javascript"> $(function () { $.ajax({ type: "POST", url: "WebService1.asmx/HelloWorld", success: function (msg) { alert(msg.text); } }); });</script></body></html>\[/code\]WebService1.asmx.cs\[code\]public class WebService1 : System.Web.Services.WebService{ [WebMethod] public string HelloWorld() { var tw = new StringWriter(); tw.WriteLine("VirtualPathUtility.ToAbsolute(\"~/Images/Blah.png\"): " + VirtualPathUtility.ToAbsolute("~/Images/Blah.png")); tw.WriteLine("VirtualPathUtility.ToAppRelative(\"~/Images/Blah.png\"): " + VirtualPathUtility.ToAppRelative("~/Images/Blah.png")); // Hack to use ResolveClientUrl without including a Server.Execute in the sample tw.WriteLine("new Image().ResolveClientUrl(\"~/Images/Blah.png\"): " + new Image().ResolveClientUrl("~/Images/Blah.png")); return tw.ToString(); }}\[/code\]If you run this same code on ASP.NET 3.5 and ASP.NET 4, you'll get different outputs:\[code\]3.5---------------------------VirtualPathUtility.ToAbsolute("~/Images/Blah.png"): /MyTest1/Images/Blah.pngVirtualPathUtility.ToAppRelative("~/Images/Blah.png"): ~/Images/Blah.pngnew Image().ResolveClientUrl("~/Images/Blah.png"): Images/Blah.png4.0---------------------------VirtualPathUtility.ToAbsolute("~/Images/Blah.png"): /MyTest1/Images/Blah.pngVirtualPathUtility.ToAppRelative("~/Images/Blah.png"): ~/Images/Blah.pngnew Image().ResolveClientUrl("~/Images/Blah.png"): ../Images/Blah.png\[/code\]The first two calls are the same, but the \[code\]ResolveClientUrl\[/code\] call behaves differently. Note: We're not actually calling \[code\]ResolveClientUrl\[/code\] like this, it's inside an ASPX page that is \[code\]Server.Execute\[/code\]'d, I just did this to keep the sample small - the issue appears to be the same.So... Is this a bug? Is there any way I can make this work the same as in ASP.NET 4 to avoid having to move things around so that the paths work correctly?