Open Source CMS and Money

liunx

Im not sure how many of you are out to make money from your web sites, but I'm wondering how many of us lot actually do. Are we so tech savvy that we endulge ourselves into the depths of semi-colons and curly braces too often to think about the bigger picture? Am I the only one who is guilty of forgetting the overall strategy and objective of the site? Ive actually created some notes which I keep running while working on the site. It helps me maintain the focus. Perhaps the need for the notes is not a great sign in the first place, but I can get bogged down in the odd CSS issue here and there.<br /><br />So just out of curiosity, how many of you are earning a substantial living from your pieces of work?<!--content-->
I kinda think this question is aimed at designers but I'll take a stab anyway.<br /><br />Do I make a "substantial living" off web design?<br />No, I do not, but then it is not my #1 business.<br /><br />Do I make a "substantial living" off my web design projects (i.e. personal sites)?<br />No, but then these are projects and dreams and I have no delusions that this is my "real" business.<br /><br />Do I make a "substantial living" off other web things like content writing and SEO?<br />Yes, I do. It is my full-time job.<br /><br />I'm kinda curious why you're asking this question. Is it a dreams vs. reality thing? e.g. "I want to be the next MySpace but I live rent-free in my parents' basement and my site is tanking?" where you think we should wake up and realise that it isn't working?<!--content-->