"Newbie" - bad label or just TRUE?

Nakatsura

I read a lot here and lately haven't been posting that much. However, of late, I've seen the term "newbie" applied in what I would consider a not so favorable light. My opinion is that if I am new to this whole internet marketing thing, I would WANT people to know it. I think "newbie" is more of a truth rather than some kind of put down or slam. Even better - if I am identified as a newbie here, I think I might get a lot more assistance from some more experienced marketers. Trying to say you are experienced in this arena when you aren't will quickly get you "uncovered" as a poser - and no one wants that to happen. Then you'd be labeled as such and no one will take you seriously. On the other hand, if you are a "newbie" say so and say it proudly and you'll soon see a lot of fellow marketers coming to your aid if and when you have questions or need help. Lastly, I hereby declare that from now on - "Newbie" is a good label and a truthful term - not something anyone uses to put down an aspiring marketer. Maybe the people who use 'newbie' as a put down have forgotten that they were new at this once. Quote: At least the term newbie is used in honesty. Unlike "guru" Quote: Quote: one things for sure - I am a NEWBIE at a lot of things. Like right now I just bought a $300 piece of software that a lot of the "guru" marketers here are very familiar with. I don't know crap about it except that I think I have it installed correctly. As far as what it can do for me and what I can do with it? I am a total newbie. And proud to say so. Quote: Quote: I have been reliably informed 'newbie' is used in the sex industry for a new starter Is there a message there? I do not like or use the term...except when quoting Quote: I type some 90 words a minute but whenever I go to use the word "newbie" in any piece of content, I slow to a crawl. Something makes me want to use another word. The poor thing has taken such a beating along the way that I'm not even sure it's a positive or a negative anymore. Me, I'm brand new to Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. NEWBIE!!! There! I said it! I can't find half my mail these days... Quote: I just stumbled in..I'm a newbie - there is always more to learn and the day I "know it all" and I'm no longer a newbie at something - I hope will never arrive. It's a great feeling to be introduced to new things (especially if they help you make money or inform you about previously unknown things). I have not run into people who used the term in a derogatory way - so far all people online have been very kind and helpful. I firmly believe that 99% of the time you echo your attitude. What you put out comes back to you (it's law of attraction).Make it an awesome day y'all ) Anytime we think we are no longer "newbies" we ought to give it a second thought. I feel bad for the folks who rise to the top by stepping on others..payback is a b..ch. LOL I don't consider "newbie" as a bad label but a n00b I'll reconsider. I'm always learning something new, would get bored if I wasn't. So I'm a newbie more often than not. If anybody is putting newbies down then they should realise that those newbies could be their valued potential customers and a little help could make a big difference in how those newbies perceive you As a complete 'newbie' its good to see that some of you much more experienced are still grounded in the fact that you were all exactly where I am now. Some insights from a "newbie" - It seems when we get the back of our hands smacked its because one of us asked a question of "how do i do..." rather then "could someone point me in the right direction to learn how to do..." - We 'newbies' are slammed with so many competing methods on how to do IM much of it a sales pitch to buy said 'gurus' program it can be EXTREMELY overwhelming. So if we do ask for a bit of help politely and responsibly, would it be so bad to give us a few tips to make this learning curve a bit more bearable? As I have found a lot of you do on this forum. Thanks. - I realize people do not wish to share their exact trade secrets of how they are being successful and I completely understand such apprehension. No one wants to lose their piece of the IM pie by giving away info but to the newbies and you more expereinced remember this is a multi BILLION dollar industry, 2009 UK alone pulled 2.5 bill. There is room for us all in the IM pie. - And last but not least. Thanks to everyone trying to actually help us newbies out. I know I truly appreciate it and when I make it big I plan on giving back 2 fold more then I have taken away from these forums. Now could someone please point to a useful thread on facebook marketing lol Just kidding i'll find it on my own. The thrill of the hunt. It depeds on the context. As mentioned, "noob" is more of the insulting version. If I smile when I use the term "newbie" it's only because I'm thinking about all the stupid mistakes I made as a "newbie" - particularly NOT listening to the voice of experience, and quietly wondering if this isn't "deja vu all over again" or some other Yogiism that hasn't become as popular. Glad you didn't ask that question about FB - the answers...overwhelming. There are as many ways as there are people selling them (freebies for newbies - ehow - google- youtube) - Quoting your quote: "There is room for us all in the IM pie" - This is how it works: to sell the "pieces of the pie" - give away some - make you hungry for more - you get to know and trust - and buy. That is the route to the pie bakery. "Newbie" needn't be a negative term, you're right! It can just mean inexperienced and looking for help from the pros...and there's nothing wrong with admitting you need help; even the more experienced warrior members often ask for help and advice! ... a great Japanese proverb is ... "Beginners Mind for your Whole Life" We all start as 'newbies' and proceed from there. I'm still a 'newbie' to internet marketing, but growing everyday as I read more. Feel free to poke fun at me if it'll make you feel better. I never see the term Newbie as a derogatory description. Obviously it would be foolish to describe yourself as such if you're giving advice. You need to give your reader confidence in your knowledge. However, if you are looking for information, help or advice, I see no reason why you can't state up front, that you're inexperienced in that particular area. It helps the people who are helping you, to identify your own perception of your level of knowledge in that subject. As I say to my children, when I surprise them with my vast general knowledge, "I know stuff". However, I don't know it all by any means, so that still makes me a Newbie in many ways. Cheers Alan PS. I'm not a Guru(some) either. . I totally agree with you and i am of the opinion that one should strike hard to make oneself noticed by the people and specially in a marketing job one needs to be always in news so that people remember him. Quote: Don't see anything wrong with the word newbie. Hell everyone did start off with being a newbie...heck I'm still a newbie. And I would like to believe that everyone is still a newbie in one way or the other, no matter how experienced one may be, there would always be something that they would be a newbie at. newbie is used to describe someone not yet successful in IM, when in reality those who call themselves newbies but have been doing it for more than 6 months should be more aptly called under achievers. I'm also guessing more experienced marketers will stop using newbie as a put down, when newbies stop using Guru as an insult