Man Shot At Teenagers Who Were Toilet Papering His House, Do You Agree With What He Did?

MelissaL

Over in Michigan at 1 in the morning a man was awoken by people running around his front yard and laughing. He grabbed his shotgun and ran outside, he fired a warning shot in the air and as the teen pranksters were fleeing he aimed and fired.<br />
<br />
He shot a 14 year old in the chest and leg, thankfully nobody died. Prosecutors are now aiming to go after this man.<br />
<br />
Did this man do the right thing here? http//www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/10/kent_county_prosecutor_william.html<br />

desmeran

Tell me that's a rhetorical question.

Obviously a toilet-paper-free house is not remotely worth taking (or endangering) someone's life over.

6wkspregnant

I could let him get away with the warning shot in the air, but to actually take aim at someone over toilet paper is just ridiculous!

what the14 yr old did was wrong but what the man did was unthinkable
the 14 yr old was just prob bored and wanting to have fun he could have been killed
the man shouldnt have reacted that way

i dont agree with killing or injuring anyone over toilet paper no....Maybe he could have asked them to feck off instead of using a gun.

Ariana

NO not at all. It's not even Halloween yet for the teens to be doing pranks.. but a low scale prank at that...
But one shot in the air would have been plenty.. also a police call! But then aiming at them is called intention, he intended to harm them, luckily nobody died, but it doesnt matter it's still attempt of murder... when you shoot somebody with a gun what do you expect it'll happen? Kill the other person..
And I think that guy deserves going to jail.

BobB

he was protecting his home. if someone was brazen enough to vandalize his home while he was in it, who knows what else the vandals would have done.

good for him!

the kid got what he deserved.

Ashley

Haha well they shouldnt have done that. I am 17 and am not that stupid.

Too bad America wasnt like that, if its your property then do what you please.

Linde03

I don't think he did the right thing at all, it was clearly kids pulling a prank. He could have been just as effective by coming out of the door and yelling at them to go away or stop.
Even if for a minute he is given the benefit of the doubt when bringing out a shotgun and firing a warning, why then would you aim and fire at FLEEING teenagers?? Unfortunately the way the law works, it will probably be justifiable since they were on his property and unwelcome.
Hmm, I do have to say after clicking on the link, I suppose he could have mistaken them for burglars, it states they were scrambling to get into the car and were backed up to a detached garage....
Wrong place wrong time and unfortunate for all.

Gina

That is terrible. They are just a bunch of stupid kids trying to have fun. you could of told them to clean up the toilet paper or else i will call the cops. but the gun is not right.

He was wrong. I could see firing a shot in the air. But shooting someone is not justified. Had they been breaking into his home then sure fire away. But not for what they were doing. The only ? is that in the article the man thought they were trying to break in...but still I dunno.

I bet he'll be a lot more careful with his weapon, and I'm sure that kid won't ever do it again. But I think it's right for the man to be charged.

MissCoffee

I could maybe see the shot in the air but to take aim and fire when they were not robbing his house is going over board in my opinion.

Morgaine

The warning shot doesn't seem to unreasonable but aiming AT them and firing after they were clearly running away, I'm surprised he's getting off so light.

Becka

I know in TX it is technically legal to use a gun on someone if they are vandalizing your house or property at night. (my hubby is a cop)
I don't agree with it though. It's not like they were trying to rob or harm anything or anybody.

sue

Ok!! You are all wrong, wrong, wrong!

It is 1 AM and the man works for a living!! He has a nice yard, it isn't even Halloween yet!!

I would not have fired the first shot into the air!! The shotgun shells would have been full of rock salt for the first 2 shots then bird shot for the reload!!

Yes, I got a load of rock salt aimed at my backside as a teenager raiding an apple orchard in the middle of the night. We all got hit with the salt and it stings for days until it heals up. And our parents approved of the punishment!!

I am your grandma!!!

The danged little brats need some salt in their bods to learn to respect people!! that is a major problem right now! No One Under the Age of 30 respects anyone elses right to exist or sleep or any other thing.

HeatherLeigh

I can understand the waring shot, but the kid was running away, he shouldn't' have shot at him. I don't see how anyone can think that he was protecting his property when the kid was running away from him.

I bet the kids will never do this again though!

Snappy

He absolutely did the wrong thing. I've had my home toilet papered many times and egged once. What a jerk! Have a sense of humor. Save and recycle all that toilet paper don't kill someone! He's got serious anger issues.