Link Page

Is it really necessary to add a "/links" page to my site? for reciprocal linking? It seems that when I wam submitting my link to other directories, they would obviously prefer and claim it takes less time for me to get my link approved, if I put their link on my site.

What are your thoughts on this? I would rather stay away from creating a links page on my site. Is it risky to add a link page in the mind of Google? Is it needed?

I am mainly concerned about it being a red flag in Googles eyes and wondering if a links page is standard and accepted or is it becoming something to stay away from? It's not risky to create a links page on its website. Google does not penalize sites that have a links page. Otherwise, it would penalize many sites!
wink.gif

And it may be useful to be accepted in the web directories.

Nevertheless, the strongest links are not reciprocal links: you have to try to find web directories without backlink required. First, let me stop you right there. Google's Matt Cutts explains what type of directories are valuable for backlinks here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pu1YWcIh04

Also, while you may not get a penalty for link pages, they are disliked by Google. In addition, you should not be giving worthless directories a backlink. It's better to exchange links with industry related websites as that will provide much more value. It would confirm to the search engines that your website is related to the other. If your competitors (websites ranking higher than you) link to you then that could boost your rankings.