how many of you run a profitable BB?

brianm

as the thread title - how many of you successfully monetize your forums to a level where they pay for themselves or better.

at that point, do you buy a VB license?

I have been a moderator on a large board for over two years now and am about to open my first board, just wondering how many of them actually make any money? The one im a mod on doesnt run any ads but has over 15k registered users, maybe 1k active

cheers

Hoxxy

My personal forum?..no, but then I hate ads, as a designer I think they spoil the design of any site not just forums so haven't added any, and tbh I now only run it to keep myself updated so I can help you guys and girls out...otherwise I would have given up on it along time ago...lol

+ as I've been with my host for so long its really cheap unmetered everything and on a dedi for pocket change, and I can make the years hosting cost in 1 freelance job so it doesn't really break the bank, you know what I mean :)

me50

well i have just opened my forum two days ago. and hope that it will run. i have been mod and uploader on some warez sites so i thought to make one. offcourse i will give ads to get some cash. currently looking for some staff as its not an easy job for a single person i guess so.

Ady

brianm said:
as the thread title - how many of you successfully monetize your forums to a level where they pay for themselves or better.

at that point, do you buy a VB license?

I have been a moderator on a large board for over two years now and am about to open my first board, just wondering how many of them actually make any money? The one im a mod on doesnt run any ads but has over 15k registered users, maybe 1k active

cheers

Hi Brian,thats a big board you moderate..Like everything in life you have too work at it. And as a new a starter, you start at the bottom of the ladder.How you progress to the figures you're moderating now,is up to you.

Good Luck..

brianm

cheers, ill let you know how it goes ;)

nothing beats trying to get a forum off the ground... still i got 2000 daily viewers to seed the operation, so lets hope a few of them like what im offering.

chakru

I frankly run forums for fun! I really don't expect any money out of it I just want to have some forums with lots of traffic lol thats all.. if I want to earn I can always earn through other means its not that hard to earn money choosing forums to earn is a bad option if you ask me.. it will take you long long time..

regards

Curtis129

i find the whole experience of running a forum, fun and enjoyable experience while learning a lot.
i would love for my board to increase in revenue overnight. but unfortunately BB's dont have such a big payout when it comes to ad's and affiliating or selling links. that is unless you are reaching a very fortunate ammount of users a day.

but if i didnt have my personal job i would never be able to afford it.
and im actually takin money out of my pocket at the moment to keep my board running. i just dont have the profits to buy myself a vbulletin license.

i used to moderate a 100k + member forum and administrate a small xbox forum. at that point i knew i was good at it.. so why not create my own.

snardley

It all depends on your target market. If you've built a forum around a unique niche market that offers fresh content, products and services that are unique and hard to find elsewhere then you will make money. You just have to be patient, willing to work hard by constantly finding new content and willing to give it a minimum of one to two years to develop your brand.

Remember:

1. Your forum must be unique and based on things that people want and are searching for. If you're just going to put up another warez forum amongst the tens of thosands of others out there then you're setting yourself up for a huge failure.

2. The key to getting new visitors to your site after you've performed all the usual Search Engine Optimization tricks is: Content, Content & Content! Keep it fresh, unique, up to date and relevant and you will succeed and become profitable!

brianm

i do agree with the if you build for profit, you will fail approach. I just dont want to have a cash burden on my hands - traffic costs money - as as affil marketing / the web is my job, i dont want to lose money for no return! :)

mojopanel

yer, it is up to you. Do you want to be a visiter mind and just have ads for guests only using the vBulletin gest IF code.( i use this to try anf get guest to sign up)

or

you want to make money to like get a VB licence

well i fo the top one easy and simple and it don't spoil it for the members..

i own more or less own 8 forums, 1 SMF & 7 vBulletin..

ronierichard

I agree with the building it for profit, which will focus. I do not want to have a load of cash on hand - the traffic costs money - as in affiliate marketing / web is my job, I do not want to waste the money of no return.

yokovitchnadal

I think it would be like this. Thats a big board you moderate..Like everything in life you have too work at it. And as a new a starter, you start at the bottom of the ladder.How you progress to the figures you're moderating now,is up to you. So it is very necessary.