go with database or flat file

windows

Hey,
I am building a site for my client which involved creating user accounts. But the use of the account in this version of the site is very limited; it would just store personal info. He does not have a lot to spend and outsources his online billing through paypal. Should I just reccomend a flat file to store user names manipulated by a cgi script? What is the rule of thumb to determine cost/benefit going with a database?
Thankshow about this: if your ever going to do searching/ manipulating of the data, or if its getting even intermediate transactions... go with a database.

I don't see why the client wouldn't, especially when MySql is free.Is MySQL free if you use it in a commercial web application.
Does it still fall under the GPL?
ThanksI don't know, thats something you'll have to check out. But who would try to run a serious business off of a flatfile system?mysql goes on the server. if the server only has one person that runs a webpage off of it then yes mysql is free, if you run a ISP then you have to pay to use mysql. that is unless they haven't changed the license.

you can use mysql in any application, being it commercial or not.Just a bit of preventative medicine......

If you do decide to go with a flat file set up, make sure you make the file a .php or .asp or whatever server side language is used by your server.

Don't .INC or .TXT like some sites do and recommend to store files that aren't a piece of the actual site (such as flat files or database include files).

Especially if these accounts will hold any sensitive information (E.G. - The customer's credit card numbers or even Paypal address) as files not named in a server side language are easy prey for hackers.

Even with that said, try to go with a database backend if you can.