Evolution alternatives to be taught in Florida Schools?

Dord

Are they confusing scientific method with free speech? If teaching one creation myth, why not teach all creation myths?<br />
<br />
http//www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90024822<br />

eternal

Yes, I agree, and as a Science Teacher, I think if we just provide everyone with a strong foundation in Biology (K-12), all the origin theories (Both religious & evolutionary) can be reserved for another arena, such as the Universities, or at Church!

TechnoRat60

"Let's be real clear on what it is that we're actually voting about," Sands said. "We're voting about the separation of church and state. We're voting about teaching religion in the schools. You can couch it any way you want. But that is exactly what we're talking about."

I would say Sands is on target. The Bill is a violation of the 1st Amendment, and unconstitutional.

tehabwa

Your last question inspires me to point out that this was exactly the argument behind the whole Pastafarian "movement" -- the Flying Spaghetti Monster thing. (If you're unfamiliar with this, do type the phrase into your favorite search engine.)

A school district in some other state was going to debate ID in science classes, and some nut-job (brilliant guy, but a nut-job -- in the GOOD sense) wrote to each of the board members.

He extolled the FSM, and pointed out that this version of creation actually explains scientific results (when a scientist is about to read a date from their dating technology, the FSM adjusts the readings with His Noodly Appendage -- thereby giving bogus results).

He argued that, if they were going to teacher versions other than strictly scientific ones, they should teach them all, including his.

He heard back from only 2 (both promised to argue his point during deliberations, as they were the two dissenters on the board).

Free speech? Oh, puleezzzzeeeee.

Science classes are supposed to teach, well, SCIENCE.

bravozulu

You are exactly right. Intelligent design is religion and has absolutely nothing to do with science. It has no business being taught in school.

icabod

This tactic is not unlike a negative political campaign. There's calls for a 'debate" and "let the voters decide" followed by some serious dirt throwing. The purpose is to tear down the other side thinking somehow this makes your side "better."

However, science isn't a vote. Otherwise we'd be repealing the "law" of gravity, make Pi equal to 3, and lower the speed of light.

The creationists, under the claim of "free speech" and "hear both sides of the argument" are attempting an end run to get their doctrine into the school system. That there are hundreds of other creation narratives doesn't mean anything. Getting the others included it the curriculum only limits the teaching resources and confuses the issue.

Most of the creationist 'research" consists of finding supposed fault with evolutionary theory. There just isn't the research base to make creation theory a valid one. Besides "It's only a theory."

veraswanee

Are you sure this is not about a political plan to "dumb down" Science to keep all the religious people contented because the religious vote in America is worth worrying about?? Just an observation from Down Under. I always thought Scientific theories were "proveable" like gathering known evidence and making intelligent deductions about said evidence whereas religious beliefs are based on faith and what is written in holy books (or how what is written is interpreted) and I am not arguing against any form of religion here just thinking well what has that got to do with "Scientific Method"
which strives to get to answers about lots of things through studying and understanding things like carbon dating etc.

should we also teach our kids how to turn water in to wine during 8th grade science? Oh no, they are minors, so we will have to wait till they are 21 to teach them that miracle.

But i guess we could teach them to turn one basket of bread into enough to feed an entire city.

intelligent design is the last strand of b.s. that the church is hanging on to. give me a break. if you want to be religious go to church. take your kids, take you kids kids. but dont ever try to stuff it down other kids brains in the public education system. AHHHHH!!

Shaz

Ever notice that the ID and Creationist crowd no longer fight about being better than Evolution and the real truth that needs to be taught?

And now they use the "Well why can't we have a balanced argument and let all sides be represented?" logic which appeals to people who don't understand difference between being open-minded and being a brain dead sheep.
In the name of fairness, freedom, and academic exploration...these intellect hating, pedophile, liars put up an idea that has not passed peer review, because it's elements have been disproved my multiple studies, as scientifically equal to a Theory that has gone above+beyond the peer review and achieved consensus as fact based on empirical evidence and studies for 150 years.

Think about that. They are saying that the idea that "something, somewhere, in some way" eats wood! would be AS EQUALLY VALID AN EXPLINATION as the idea of combustion proved by measurements, physics, chemistry, and documented evidence and validated by many reproduction tests over years which community all agrees is a fact.

Americans, being complete and utter idiots, accept this and do not even blink an eye...because God may send lighting after them if they use the minds+free will given to them by the same being. Evidently only by refusing to learn things, and following the examples of the Dark Ages that God wishes us to be ignorant and suffer during our lives....can we be truly American and educated.

Because free speech and American values are not important to Americans anymore. ONLY Christian values of suffering, hatred, ignorance and blind faith are to be respected in today's America......because any other value is "pinko, communist, hippie, homo talk".