Enhanced Image Captcha - Stop bots from signing up!

Emiyashirou

Title : Enhanced Image Captcha

Version : 2.2b

Coder : Andy Calderbank & Jason Williams

Purpose : Add extra Image Verification to the registration process, using an alternative system to the Captcha system.

The Enhanced Image Captcha system is a unique system using images versus text to stop spammers signing up to your forum. The script automatically detects images and uses the filename as the title, making adding new images extremely simple. To further improve security, the images are passed through a script which means that none of the images on the screen have file names - and cannot be associated to the question by title alone - and cannot be viewed by trying to access the images directly.

Please note, there is a .htaccess file within the images directory, to keep security tight, this must be kept, without it bots are able to scan the images and make a match, I understand not every server can utilist .htaccess but cannot get around this.

Important : This has been tested on 3.7 and 3.6.2 - as far as I know this should be backwards and forwards compatible.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS HAS BEEN RELEASED AS A BETA VERSION AS THE SCRIPT HAS BEEN MOVED AND I NEED TO GAUGE FEEDBACK BEFORE GOING TO A FULL VERSION.

My thanks go to all the guys who have helped with this, all the suggestions and feedback, all has been take on board and where necessary included in this new version - members in particular are : King Kovifor, Danny.VBT, Lynne and RCK.

Also thanks to ogameclub for the Turkish translated version.

I must thank Opserty too for their hard work in making me understand where I was going wrong!!

New features from original 1.11 release!!

Admin settable options:

* Number of images to display
* Path to image directory (so you can change if you prefer)
* Resize image between 50% - 150% of original image
* Number of images to display before a line break (see History)
* Enable/Disable

Demo : Steadiforum - Enhanced Image Captcha

I hope this is help to the VBulletin community as I know this is a growing problem. I don't fancy the thought of trawling through hundreds of new members deleting stupid usernames and spam posts.

Installation :

1. Upload show.php to your forum root directory (or wherever register.php is).
2. Upload the images/verification directory, this can be moved to the forum root or have the verification name changed, but needs updating in the Enhanced Image Captcha AdminCP options.
3. Import Product - product-enhanced_image_captcha.xml
4. Make sure that you check that the Images Path is correct in AdminCP -> VBulletin Options -> Enhanced Image Captcha.
5. You can also select how many images and what size from the original you would prefer.

Upgrading:

1. Import Product - product-enhanced_image_captcha.xml - overwrite if necessary.
2. Set any options you need in AdminCP -> VBulletin Options -> Enhanced Image Captcha.

Upgrading from v1.xx :

1. Remove the images/verification directory and all images inside.
2. Uninstall the product - Enhanced Captcha Image Verification - important for phrase and template removal!
3. Upload show.php to your forum root directory (or wherever register.php is).
4. Upload the images/verification directory, this can be moved to the forum root or have the verification name changed, but needs updating in the Enhanced Image Captcha AdminCP options.
5. Import Product - product-enhanced_image_captcha.xml - overwrite if necessary.
6. Make sure that you check that the Images Path is correct in AdminCP -> VBulletin Options -> Enhanced Image Captcha.
7. You can also select how many images and what size from the original you would prefer.

Requirements : GD Libraries installed

File uploads : 53 (including images)
Files to Import : 1
New Templates : 2
New Phrases : 15
Uses Hooks : 1
New Queries : 0

History :
v2.0b

* Original Beta release

v2.1b

* Added Enable/Disable Option
* Also added Turkish Translated version
* Added new image page

v2.2b

* Bug Fix : Opera browsers, any number over around 8 images disappears over side of screen, added number of images before line break function to stop this happening

Don't forget you don't have to use the provided images - you can customise these to any you wish - I've used ones that are hopefully universal and everyone will recognise.

deanr201

I have installed the enhanced captcha but the bots are still getting through, not as often but about 1 in 10 attempts results in the captcha image being the first selection which im guessing is what the bot trys to get through, when this happens the bot correctly selects the right image.

Wondering if its possible to have it so that the correct image is a random selection but is never in the first position, if any one has a work around to stop them.

nextgen

Buddy i needed this BADLY the forum hasnt been up 15 minutes and i have had 2 bots spam the forums. Thanks so much.

Filez

have you all even looked at your human verification manager in the admincp ? Have any of you enabled re-captcha ?

Z0MBIE

I have installed this on 3.6.8 and the pictures do not show. I am positive that they are in the correct place. I do not get an error just words (see pic) is this compatible with my version? Do I need to change any file permissions?

ifkas

Thanks, dont think will stop them but oh well, at least for the automatic bots, those manually no way to stop them sir !