Do you think some parents are a little bit controlling?

I have quite a few friends, who are almost 13, where they have to ask their parents for everything. I think its ridiculous to have to ask your mom if you can eat something, drink something, play video games, watch TV so on so forth. Also, I think at a certain point kids should be able to decide themselves if they can hang out. They need to be able to look at the calender see if they have anything planned and if they don't and they can set up transportation they should decide themselves that they can go. Controlling your kids every moment of the day is going to make them go crazy in college. They wont have any idea how to decide things for themselves and will just fall into peer pressure all the time. What do you guys think?<br />
Sorry if this seems kind of like a rant. I'm asking for opinions.<br />

stevenb

Well I agree sometimes parents can be a bit pushy but you know what they are doing what's best for you. What if something happens to you?

I agree. there has to be a balance. my father was extremely controling with me even after I turned 18! It didn't do me any good. I think I rebeled even worse than I would have if I had reasonable freedom. I have gotten better and forgiven him but from expirience controlling your kid doesn't work, it has the reverse effect.

JaneS

i agree with steven because i know it can be so annoying that you want to rip your hair out but a lot of parents are just doing whats best for their kids.

on the contrary, parents need to give their children a break sometimes because it could put stress and pressure on the child/person. i mean i think that everyone has big plans for their future so sometimes everyone has to be a little independent and take control of their life.

=]