Can I Turn A Computer Tower Into A Server?

Mr-Ice-Man

Can anyone tell me please if i can turn a computer tower into a server so i can run my website from it?

If this is possible then can anyone tell me were to start please...

alexD

Yes you wont to turn it into a server whats your OS, internet type(dsl, cable, T1, dial up ) what server softwar will you use, what port will it operate off of, why type of database will you use, what modules will you use, will you need mod_rewrite enabled, will you run php as threaded, what php will you use etc.... Ask your self this first so you know what your getting your self into I suggest that you have T1 or cable connection or else it will be slow for your users, next check your processor i suggest a dual core at the very least, and apache 2.2, php 5, and mysql 5 for the most part. you can added ruby and python as cgi if you want. Also getting zend and ioncube loaders is a must inorder for your server to run right if ya need help ask me here and I'll give you the walk through of installing the software. Or use WAMP(win32), LAMP(linux), MAMP(mac)

Mr-Ice-Man

Only just noticed i hadnt replied to this thread, cheers for everyone who helped and the PMs guys.

Wwwildthing said:
When someone asks this question it 's usually because they're 15 and living in the basement.
And no im 27 so your totally wrong noob

bluescorpion

Depends on whether you want to continue using it as a windows box, if yes, WAMPSERVER is quick and preconfigured more or less. You can also do a real install of the components if you want to learn how it all goes together and be able to fix stuff more confidently when it breaks. You can find a tutorial on how to do that HERE

If you don't care about windows, linux is the solution you might want to look into using, though it might be like learning a foreign language for you if you are use to windows and most of what you need to do with it is manual labor with a LOT command line interaction that might put you off.

Wwwildthing

Mr-Ice-Man said:
And no im 27 so your totally wrong noob

27 and clueless, apparently.

I'm 54 and I've been on the Internet since 1985... when you were 3 years old.

Now to answer your question...

Technically yes, you can... but no, you don't want to... it will totally consume your bandwidth and it's probably against your ISP's Terms Of Service. They can, and will, terminate your connection (which, depending on where you live, could be your only means of high-speed access), and they might take you to court.

Better, smarter and cheaper to rent a server from a hosting company.

slaughter71

i use a amd triple core phenom,,3gigs of ram,, in the past i have used a dual core and only 2gigs.
i run win2003server enterprise edition i downloaded from torrents,and i use plesk webserver.
plesk is free for one domain license,and will not let you down as way of easy setup of php and all the others as its part of the setup of plesk.
Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 ? Hosting Automation Control Panel
my sever box is running in my hall closet,,on a 10MB down & 1MB upload speeds.
now if ya want to run multiple domains,,maybe these ppls can teach ya the old school way of doing things,,but for me using plesk was by far the easiest i ever used so far.
hope this helps,,i was clueless at onetime before myself..
also if u check with ur internet provider,,they might give u 2 ip adresses just have to apply for the second one,,this way u can run the server straight out on a direct ip instead of trying to configure a routor,,however ya will have to spend $50.bucks for a switch to get both ip's.

ronierichard

Depends on whether to continue using it as a windows box, if so, is fast and pre Wampserver or so. You can also do an actual installation of the components, if you want to learn how everything goes together and be able to fix things with more confidence when it breaks. You can find a tutorial on how to do here.

yokovitchnadal

I think this is the best way for it. Depends on whether you want to continue using it as a windows box, if yes, WAMPSERVER is quick and preconfigured more or less. So it will be done like this.