Birth Certificate still valid?

ecco1983

Hiya<br />
<br />
I'm writing a story about an adopted girl. I know that at aged 18 adoptees can have access to their original birth certificates and when they are adopted, they have an adoption certicificate.<br />
<br />
Now, if she has both, are they both valid for application forms and job CVs and all that? Bear in mind, to keep the twist, she was adopted at a young age and her original name was changed when she was adopted so she would have two different names.<br />
<br />
If she wanted to state it for job applications or filling in forms, can she put her birth anme if she wishes or would she have to put it down due to some forms stating that "Previous Name" section. <br />
<br />
Anyway, even though she has an adoption certificate, is the birth one still valid?<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
Helen<br />
xxxxx<br />

You would use your real name meaning the name given to you when you were adopted.

In the are of "previous name" you would not put you name before adoption. They only have that section there if you have changed your name now as an adult.

rs

her current legal name is her adoptive name.... no, she would not put her old name because it has been changed .... my children's birth certificate carries the same number as did their birth certificate with their birth parent's names on them.... now they say they were born to me and there is nothing on it that says they were adopted...

kids were born in 3 different state, so I guess this is the norm...all 3 states did the same thing

if she wants to change her name back to her birth name, then she'd list her adoptive name as pervious names... if she is going by her adoptive name, that is her name...

confusing isn't it?

I am pretty sure, that her changed adopted name that also goes with her current SS# is what is her valid birth certificate...

I am not saying is was right, or anything, but that is how all 3 states redid the birth record...

I am sure she could hire a lawyer and get unadopted if she wanted and have her birth parents list on her birth record...

Independant

The adoption certificate.

I wish you lots of success with your book. I'll enjoy reading another Aps view of it. I would suggest donating "all" the profits to organizations that help financially struggling mothers so they are able to raise their children as well as to organizations that are focusing on sex education and teens.

The gov't doesnt do enough. All the stillborn babies born by poverty stricken teens in the US is proof of it.

MischeleRN

Effective the date of adoption, her name was legally changed as were the parents which basically makes her original birth certificate null and void. However, I know here in NJ, my original birth certificate has an * at the end of my name saying that my birth certificate was ammended as I kept my mom, but was adopted by another dad. So for the girl you're talking about, her legal name and only really valid birth certificate is the adopted one - the old one would be null and void as it is no longer her name and those parents are legally not her parents any longer. Most adoptees get their original birth certificate more for the info on who their parents are as a whole and not for identification purposes.

GaiaRaain

In real life, adoptees only have access to their original birth certificates in six states after they turn 18. In all other states, the OBC is sealed for life. In ALL states, once an adoption is finalized, a new, amended, birth certificate is issued stating that the adoptive parents actually created the child - the natural parents' names are forever removed from the child's legal records. From that point on, the amended birth certificate is the only valid one. So, even if the child somehow gets access to their OBC, it's not valid in any state.

I don't know if your story is based on what it will look like in the future, or if it's pure fiction, so forgive me if this information isn't helpful. I just thought you might want to know that in case you were trying to base your story in real life.

Gershom

at 18, adoptees CAN'T have access to their obc's. There are only 6 states in the United States that give adoptees access to their original unaltered birth certificates.

After the finalization of the adoption, the original birth certificate is sealed and becomes invalid and not a legal document.

Unless she had a copy of her OBC ( original birth certificate ) before she was adopted, she wouldn't be able to get a copy of it, or know what her birthname was.

So no, the birth certificate isn't valid after the finalization of the adoption, and the amended birth certificate would be her only legal copy even though its a lie and a fake.

KTea

You would use your legal name, the name you were given once adopted. The first name biological parents gave is not valid.

LaurieDB

As others have stated, unless she was adopted in one of the six states that lets adopted citizens have their own factual birth certificates, just like non-adopted people, your friend does not have access to her original birth record. What she can obtain is her amended "birth certificate," or what you are calling the adoption certificate. It's actually her only legal birth certificate, even though it doesn't record the facts surrounding her birth, which a birth certificate is supposed to do. The real birth certificate, the one that DOES record the facts surrounding her birth, is sealed.

The only legal name(s) with which she needs to be concerned for job applications are her adoptive name and any subsequent names, such as a marital name.

If your friend was adopted in one of the states that treats adopted citizens equal to non-adopted citizens, thus allowing her to access her own actual birth certificate, that certificate is not legally valid. The amended one is the only legally valid one.

sel

When a legal adoption is finalized, there is a legal paper issued to define all the amendments to the original birth certificate. This court order for adoption legalizes the new names of the parents and child to override and make the previous birth certificate null and void.