anchor text. how important is that little bugger?

sictirit

if you could start your website again.. would you ensure that every link pointing to your site has a title of the website's most competitive keyphrase?my situation:im startin to use 'heathrow taxi' as the anchor text on every link i get now (pointing to my homepage of course)..if i continue to do this (for years and years..).. will google think.. yes this site is more relevant for that search, let me dsplay it higher up.. (based on googles current habits.. lets say within the next 3 years..)could your rankings drop in that keyphrase search because you overused it in your anchor text?I would not recommend using the same exact phrase for every link. Use secondary phrases as well.For example, I have a site, http://www.mothersfamilyrings.com. My main term is "mothers rings", which I use for text links. I also use "mother's rings", "mothers ring", "mothers jewelry", "gold mothers rings", "birthstone mothers rings" and others.Remember to use the "~" tool to see what other keywords Google thinks are a synonym of your keyword. Use them in the text links as well.Yes, using the same same anchor text will make it look unnatural and search engines may blacklist it.vetofunk, what is this tool u are talking about?While doing a Google search, put the ~ in front of the search keyword. It will show you (in bold in listings) other keywords Google feels are synonyms.Example: ~carsGoogle is bolding: auto, autos, automobiles, vehilcles, and even BMW.Oh, interesting.Didn't know that. Thanks VFantonyx wrote:eek:ooooooooooohhhis that right?i NATURALLY select my anchor text, and I'm not going to sit on my ass and wait for people to link to my site through their own endeavour (although some do)not in my industry..our local competitorsAnchor Text is very very important..Small example - to go google and type Click Here and the first site you'll see is Adobe site. Go to Adobe site and you'll not find the keyword Click here. Now what have Adobe be the number one site on google even when click here is not used any where on the Adoge website page. Adobe has used a Anchor text called click here to download ..... , that point to the site.What does this explains, google does gives lot of importance to Anchor text.Also combination of Anchor text with domain keyword works best. I've tested this on my 3 months old directory site. the name of the site is search-dir and most incoming anchor texts are seo friendly directory, also I've not used the word Seo frienldy anywhere (except image) as keyword in my directory. If you go to google and type Seo friendly dir - you'll see the site on number 2 position. What has google done picked up 2 keywords from anchor text and 1 keyword from my domain. RegardsVahid wrote:It is very important, but you must remember that it is vital to have anchor text links using multiple keywords. Makes the search engines think its more natural as their are more types of links and not just one type.My 2 Cents!definately use different ancor text. write a bunch of your own for link trades and let webmasters choose there own as well, not only does google love it but you end up with differnt terms that you did'nt think of comming into your stats!To help you write multiple keyword phrases, use the "~" in the search to see what Google thinks are related terms.