Advanced Guestbook Question

liunx

I put the advanced guestbook up and it seems great.<br /><br />For anyone wanting to change the line at the top of the guestbook "Thanks for visiting my site. You can leave your mark here" text or something close to that, you can edit this at the lang/english.php file. You can add links or other text there also as long as any extra quotes (") get a (\) (omit the parentheses) in front of them. <br /><br />There seems to be a small price to pay for this editing, the comment function works fine but when using the comment feature I get the following error message: <br /><br />Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite/public_html/guest/lang/english.php:105) in /home/mysite/public_html/guest/lib/comment.class.php on line 152<br /><br />It looks like my editing has created an error. The comment function still works fine it just gives this error after being used. Looks like it is expecting something a bit different from the edited english.php file. Any ideas on how to fix it?<br /><br />Many thanks.<!--content-->
You most likely left a space at the end of the file....<br /><br />Go back in and delete all of the trailing spaces and re-save it, you should be good!<br /><br />(just my thoughts) <br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br /><br />Mr. Bill :Nerd:<!--content-->
Thanks Mr Bill but that doesn't seem to be it. I checked for spaces and didn't find a one.<br /><br />I did change one other line in the header.php file where I added a different background image. I removed it and still got the same error message. Interestingly I removed the text from the english.php file and also still got the error. I think it somehow expects that text string and when it doesn't get it it throws the error.<br /><br />I'm still looking.<!--content-->
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I Receive An Error Message Of 'Headers Already Sent' - What Does This Mean? <br /> <br />When at least one character, including white-space, is sent to the client, PHP cannot be redirected to another page, as the HTTP headers have already been sent.<br /><br />This means that in one of the files you have edited, a white-space is being sent to the client, and the process of the action cannot continue to a redirected (results?) page due to this.<br /><br />You will need to go through the code you have updated, and make sure there is nothing being sent to the client.<br /><br />One possible solution is to remove the white-space located before <?php and after ?> in the page code.<br /><br />Typical files where this error may occur are:<br /><br /><br />Function files (ie, catalog/includes/functions/*)<br />Files that end in _process.php (ie, checkout_process.php)<br />Language files (ie, catalog/includes/<language>.php, and catalog/includes/<language>/*)<br />White-space includes spaces and new lines.<br /><br />If you are editing files under a Microsoft Windows environment, and deploying on a Unix environment, make sure you are saving your files in Unix format.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><br /><br />One really needs to examine their code carefully. I know you have looked already but it is worth it to try again. I edit my osCommerce in Cpanel sometimes and it will add a "return" at the close of ?>. I have to put my cursor after the ">" and hit the delete key a few times to be sure.<br /><br />I am not trying to push this on you or say you didn't do a good enough job I just don't think there is any other option. I will be happy if someone can show me another option.<!--content-->
Rob - You were right! Many thanks. I went back and looked at the ending ?> and there were a number of carriage returns following it. I deleted them and the darn thing works! I had no idea that "white space" following ?> was a culprit. I didn't even touch that part of the file. I can't figure how it could have been altered? <br /><br />Who cares?! It works!<br /><br />Many thanks to you and to mr bill. I do appreciate your willingness to help out a newb.<!--content-->