Z-Index & Highlighting

liunx

The highlighting I'm talking about is when you left-click on text and drag to highlight a certain amount.<br />
<br />
Because I have multiple layers (Z-Index -3 to 1), the highlighting function seems to screwed up throughout the site.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.xdemi.com/music/main.php">http://www.xdemi.com/music/main.php</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
That is the URL for the unpublished site that I am working on right now.<br />
<br />
>> Layer -3 is the XHTML 1.1 Validation button<br />
>> Layer -2 is the Flash object<br />
>> Layer -1 is the content you see (the test news articles when you first get there) including the text at bottom.<br />
>> Layer 0 is the semi-transparent background of the "window" that comes up when you click one of the links, like "More..."<br />
>> Layer 1 is the "window" that comes up when you click one of the links, like "More..." for the news.<br />
<br />
I am having problems highlighting in layers -1 and 1 (that's where the text is).<br />
<br />
Any suggestions? I want people to be able to copy/paste.<!--content-->add this as the first line of your coding...<br />
<?xml version="1.0"?><br />
<br />
or since it is a php page, change it to this...<br />
<?php echo '<?xml version="1.0"?>'; ?><br />
<br />
this line will send IE into "quirks" mode, thus probably fixing the quirky problem.<!--content-->why do you want it in quirks mode? adding that will send it farther into quirks mode. as that line is very buggy in IE.<br />
<br />
not sure what the issue is here pyrexyn? I can highlight just by double clicking some text :)<!--content-->highlight works fine for me, i don't use negative z-index values as serveral browsers have issues with them, IE 5.5, opera 5 don't handle them properly and NN6 can mess up sometimes, and i'm pretty sure mozilla doesn't like them.<!--content-->mozilla won't even load with a negative z-index. it just displays a blank page. why are you woried about it anyway. if you have all of them at -1 then why have them?<br />
<br />
also you cannot control an object tag with z-index so why try?<br />
<br />
also your flash is covering your text is why you cannot select it. you movie has a height of "570" and you text starts at 155 form teh top. so you tell me what is wrong with it. you have your flash transparent so that is why it is over the text and you can't see it.<!--content-->oooooo<br />
<br />
soo objects can never be behind stuff?<!--content-->I see, so i eliminated negative layers, and the z-index on the object tag.<br />
<br />
Now, if objects are always on top... I'm lost. What can I do? I mean, anything is possible to script right? So how can I get a site that looks like my current <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.xdemi.com/music/main.php">http://www.xdemi.com/music/main.php</a><!-- m --> but the flash is behind everything?<br />
<br />
And also, I tried adding the xml thing, and... well I don't think it did anything, except make the font-size normal (defying my css) for some reason.<!--content-->you can't. but maybe if you created another object or something and made it the same level as the flash object then yes you could. but there is nothing that will be on the same level.<br />
<br />
IE has problems with this line<br />
<?xml version="1.0"?><br />
<br />
don't use it.<br />
anything is possible to script right?<br />
no, not everything is possible.<!--content-->I see. Well, that's kind of a disappointment for me. As a high school student aspiring to be one of the web design majors, I always believed that if you worked hard enough with the right ideas and the right tools, you could display anything on the browser...<br />
<br />
Well then, thanks everyone, I'll just forget about the highlighting problem - the people will have to deal with it.<!--content-->one of the things you have to remember. you are only limited to what the browser can show, hence the object thing. back in the day NS4 you couldn't do half the things you do now, so in do time it will be a lot better than now. just keep practicing.<br />
<br />
I can highlight just fine now in mozilla.<!--content-->I see, so I'll wait for the technology.<br />
<br />
Haha, yeah I can highlight fine too, but I guess now the problem with Mozilla is that the flash object isn't there ^^ ... wait, it's not there right? Or is it just me...<!--content-->correct, it is not there<!--content-->

Back