XSLT remove() function

AileenaKristan

In XSLT, there is a \[code\]remove()\[/code\] function for sequences. Given a sequence and a position, it returns the sequence minus the item at the given position.The question is: How do I employ this function in an actual XSLT file?The only place I've found mention of an example that isn't just a regurgitation of the function spec completely devoid of context is here: http://books.google.com/books?id=W6...AQ#v=onepage&q=xslt "remove function"&f=falseUnfortunately, the stylesheet examples are on pages 777 and 778, which are, of course, not included. And I don't own that book.So, does anyone have an example of using the \[code\]remove()\[/code\] XSLT function in an actual stylesheet?Edit: Let's provide a slightly more concrete example, shall we?I have a sequence in an XSLT. This sequence is comprised of all of the lines from a text file.\[code\]<xsl:variable name="lines" select="tokenize(unparsed-text($filePath), '\r?\n')" />\[/code\]Every one of these lines is a record...except for one, which gives me the record count. So I have the following code for finding that line:\[code\]<xsl:variable name="recordCount"> <xsl:for-each select="$lines[position()]"> <xsl:variable name="i" select="position()" /> <xsl:analyze-string select="$lines[$i]" regex="RECORD COUNT = \d+"> <xsl:matching-substring> <xsl:value-of select="replace($lines[$i], '[^0-9]', '')" /> </xsl:matching-substring> </xsl:analyze-string> </xsl:for-each></xsl:variable>\[/code\]I do the above before I start looping through the lines to get all the actual records, so my goal here is to remove the "RECORD COUNT" line from the \[code\]$lines\[/code\] sequence when I find it. That way when I'm looping through grabbing records I don't have to do a check every time asking "Is this actually not a record, but in fact the RECORD COUNT line? You know, that thing I looked for and found already?"Edit (2): Based on Martin Honnen's answer(s), my final XSLT:\[code\]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0"> <!-- I want to produce an XML document. --> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" /> <!-- Path to input text file. --> <xsl:param name="filePath" select="TestFile.txt" /> <!-- Regex in replace() removes leading and trailing blank space. --> <xsl:variable name="text" select="replace(unparsed-text($filePath), '(^[\r\n]*\s*[\r\n]+)|([\r\n]+\s*[\r\n]*$)', '')" /> <!-- Regex in tokenize() sets the delimiter to be any blank space between record lines. --> <!-- This effectively removes any blank lines. --> <xsl:variable name="lines" select="tokenize($text, '[\r\n]+\s*[\r\n]*')" /> <!-- This finds the "RECORD COUNT = ?" line. --> <xsl:variable name="recordCountIndex" select="for $pos in 1 to count($lines) return $pos[matches($lines[$pos], 'RECORD COUNT = \d+')]" /> <!-- Regex in replace() strips everything that's not a number, leaving only the numeric count. --> <!-- Example: "RECORD COUNT = 25" -> "25" --> <xsl:variable name="recordCount" select="replace($lines[$recordCountIndex], '[^0-9]', '')" /> <xsl:template name="main"> <root> <recordCount> <!-- The record count value being inserted. --> <xsl:value-of select="$recordCount" /> </recordCount> <records> <!-- Iterate over the $lines minus the line containing the record count. --> <xsl:for-each select="remove($lines, $recordCountIndex)"> <!-- Items in each record, split by blank space. --> <!-- Example: "a b c" -> "[a, b, c]" --> <xsl:variable name="record" select="tokenize(., ' ')[position()]" /> <record> <aThing> <xsl:value-of select="$record[1]" /> </aThing> <aDifferentThing> <xsl:value-of select="$record[2]" /> </aDifferentThing> <someStuff> <xsl:value-of select="$record[3]" /> </someStuff> </record> </xsl:for-each> </records> </root> </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>\[/code\]

Back