XPath Query won't work without “text()” ending

BadKharma

So i'm trying to learn some xml parsing here, and I'm getting the hang of it, but for whatever reason, I seem to have to tack on "text()" at the end of each query, otherwise I get null values returned to me. I don't actually understand the function of this "text()" ending but I know it's not necessary and I'm wondering why I can't omit it. Please help! Here is my code:\[code\]import org.w3c.dom.*;import javax.xml.xpath.*;import javax.xml.parsers.*;import java.io.IOException;import org.xml.sax.SAXException;public class ParseClass {public static void main(String[] args)throws ParserConfigurationException, SAXException,IOException, XPathExpressionException { DocumentBuilderFactory domFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(); domFactory.setNamespaceAware(true); DocumentBuilder builder = domFactory.newDocumentBuilder(); Document doc = builder.parse("C:\\Users\\Brandon\\Job\\XPath\\XPath_Sample_Stuff\\catalog.xml"); XPath xpath = XPathFactory.newInstance().newXPath(); XPathExpression expr = xpath.compile("/catalog/book[author='Thurman, Paula']/title/text()"); Object result = expr.evaluate(doc, XPathConstants.NODESET); NodeList nodes = (NodeList) result; for (int i = 0; i < nodes.getLength(); i++) { System.out.println(nodes.item(i).getNodeValue()); } }}\[/code\]PS. In case you didn't notice. i'm using XPath and DOM for my parsing.

Back