Would Singleton be a good design pattern for a microblogging site?

nasser71

I had not done with any OO in the past in projects, as I kept it simpler (in fact using archaic mysql_query calls and my own filtering) so I wanted to start a new project, learning to use design patterns with my OO along the way.I was looking to build a microblogging site for kicks, and found the Singleton design pattern class which seemed complete, and to use with PDO I could not see anything wrong with it (other than not being able to access two databases, which I am not sure I would need for this project).On say a project like this, or a simple CMS software, would a Singleton be a good idea? What sorts of design patterns/database class type would "the big guys" be using for these things, would this be too restrictive later on if it were to be upscaled (concurrant connections/performance)?I had also read about a factory Singleton to deal with dealing with extra connections later on as it is simpler to change the code in it, would this fix any of the negative issues and make it a more suitable design pattern for this?

Back