Word Docs in IE

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know of anyway of forcing a MS Word document which is hyperlinked from a web page to open using the MS Word application and not using the browser window.<!--content-->The only way i can think to is checking your DOC file associations & removing any association with IE & other browsers, leaving the 'Open' association linked to WORD only... jaeman<!--content-->Direct from Technet:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;162059&Product=ie">http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... Product=ie</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
  1. <br />
    Open My Computer.<br />
    On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click Options).<br />
    Click the File Types tab.<br />
    In the Registered file types list, click the specific Office document type (for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Advanced (or click Edit).<br />
    In the Edit File Type dialog box, click to clear the Browse in same window check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check box). <br />
    Click OK.<br />
    [/list=1] <br />
    <br />
    This doesn't apply to NT, though. If you have NT, there are registry entries to change. Refer to the link for that.<!--content-->what good does that do if the file is on the internet and they want the doc to open in word for everybody?<!--content-->Guess I interpreted the post differently. At work people ask me how to configure their system so when they click a link for a Word doc from any site, it will open up in Word instead of IE. The way the original post is worded made me think bertieball was asking the same thing.<br />
    <br />
    If that's not the case, I don't think you have the control when designing the page to force it to open in Word. The best option might be to have a note by the link suggesting the user right-clicks and chooses 'Save Link As...' They can then open the saved file in Word.<!--content-->and you may very well be correct.<!--content-->You word document doesn't open in word on my computer.<br />
    <br />
    I don't have Word or Office installed!<!--content-->

Back