Wireless Router Question.?

MrTanner

My family has cable and internet through Time Warner Cable and i'm trying to convince my mom to buy a wireless router so we can access the Playstation Network. I want to know how much more money monthly would it cost with the router. Thanks!!!<br />

Aj

um it shouldn't cost you any extra to have a router because it is using you same cable for internet its just broadcasting the signal out so that it can be picked up with wifi.

AmandaB

A wireless router is just a box that you purchase to provide a wireless signal from your existing internet connection. While wireless routers are convenient, they can also be a big hassle. They can be expensive and complicated to set up. Wireless signals sometimes degrade due to many factors giving poor performance. And if you do not know how to protect your wireless signal, someone outside of your home may even be able to connect to your internet connection! Though if you have a large house and are unable to run cables from your Cable modem to your PlayStation, then a wireless router may be for you.

However, if you don't mind running a long cable from your modem to your PlayStation, you could look in to getting an Ethernet switch to essentially "split" your internet connection. They are very inexpensive, small, and easy to setup(Just plug it in to your Cable modem with an Ethernet cable and then plug in your computer/PlayStation to the other slots). Usually they can support up to 4 connections for 1 internet connection and cost as low as $8.

Here is a link to some small cheap ones that should be effective http//www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2052810030%20115010988&bop=And&Order=PRICE

RyanM

No extra cost for the router. Just the store's fee. I would recommend looking at Best Buy for maybe the cheapest Netgear router, as they are extremely inexpensive and work well. If you have a little more money available, I would recommend upgrading to a Linksys Wireless G Router. They're really good products! Good luck with convincing your mom.

there might be a monthly fee for the wireless router/switch
you can call up time warner and maybe they might give you a free router, but there might be a monthly fee rate.