Will more MySql tables slow down searches on MySql database?

anymmedrarm

I have a classifieds website, and I am thinking about redesigning the database a bit.Currently I have 7 tables in the db. One table for each "MAIN CATEGORY".For example, I have a "VEHICLES" table which holds all information about the following categories of classifieds:\[code\] cars mc mopeds/scooters trucks boats etc etc\[/code\]However, users on the website usually search in specific categories. For example, the user chooses the "cars" category to search in, and enters a keyword.My code today, will search the entire VEHICLES table for all records with the field "category" equal to "cars", and then get their details:\[code\] "SELECT * IN vehicles WHERE category='cars' AND alot of other conditions" // just for example, not tested\[/code\]I am thinking about making a table now, for each of these "sub-categories".Ie, one for cars, one for mc, one for trucks etc, so that search isn't done through information which isn't needed.Will this increase search speed? Because I have calculated that I will need atleast 30 or so tables for this.Thanks

Back