Wierd Text Spacings

liunx

look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fikshun.digitalitcc.com/">http://fikshun.digitalitcc.com/</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Now, in the quotebox and newsbox, there is always a long space before the last line of the text. This is messing things up! I tried adjusting the valign and align parts, but nothing worked. How do I fix this?<!--content-->I don't really think it's possible. Yes it has happened to me. The problem I found was not fixable. It was due to the font you are using. I used century gothic and got the same problems, every so often a space would appear. Perhaps changing your font will fix this, or maybe someone else has a more effiecent way of dealing with this.<!--content-->You can:<br />
1. change the size of the font<br />
2. chnage the font<br />
<br />
I prefer changing the font. Size 2 font works fine.<br />
<br />
<script language="JavaScript"><br />
document.write("<font face=arial color=white size=2>" + quote + "</font>")<br />
</script><br />
<br />
<br />
If you want to add long quotes then its better to chamge the font or increase the size of the quote box.<!--content-->I believe this happens when you are using a font size smaller than default size (size 3) and you close the font before the text fills in entire line. The text, even the blank space, is now size 3, so the bottom line must drop down a little lower to accomodate the larger font size. <br />
<br />
What you can do is, don't use the closing font tag if you don't need to. You are using tables so you don't need to unless switching between fonts within the same cell. <br />
<br />
Or you can put a break tag (<BR>) just before the closing font tag (<BR></FONT>), this forces the smaller size font spacing to continue to the end of the line.<br />
<br />
I tried it on your page and it works fine, even in the JAVAscripted quote box:<br />
<br />
document.write("<font face=arial color=white size=1>" + quote) <br />
<br />
or:<br />
<br />
document.write("<font face=arial color=white size=1>" + quote + "<br></font>")<br />
<br />
What I really suggest is that you start using style tags to format the text even nicer and get more control over size, kerning, leading, etc... something like:<br />
<br />
<p style="text-align: justify; color: white; font-family: arial; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 12pt; letter-spacing: 1px;">Yet another site redesign is underway, and most links are down. The advantages to the new design are that it is viewable for people with 800X600 resolutions. Also, we are using server side includes which should take away the need for frames. I still dunno about people using Netscape, if you guys can see the page.</p><br />
<br />
Or incorporating the style properties into CSSs and creating classes.<br />
<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<!--content-->Wow thanks for the help.<!--content-->I totally agree with the last person.<br />
<br />
css is great to work with, and sites look smarter and well formed when all the text and positioning is controlled with style sheets.<br />
<br />
even better is to use external style sheets. with one small change you can effect a style on your whole site...<br />
<br />
john<!--content-->Originally posted by jog1973 <br />
I totally agree with the last person.<br />
<br />
css is great to work with, and sites look smarter and well formed when all the text and positioning is controlled with style sheets.<br />
<br />
even better is to use external style sheets. with one small change you can effect a style on your whole site...<br />
<br />
john <br />
<br />
Hey my friend told me that some browsers don't support style sheets. This would mean that if they viewed my site, which has css, it would look not so great.<br />
<br />
I dont know what browsers dont support it... does anyone have an idea of how much people dont support css???<!--content-->hey I found the best tuorial for style sheets. Cleared up all the mud and fog that I had around style sheets. I totally understand it now<br />
:)<br />
<br />
Well here's the tutorial for you all if you're like me and didn't know much about style sheets.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/stylesheets/index.html">http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/aut ... index.html</a><!-- m --><!--content-->Just off the top of my head, based on browser share statistics I've seen lately, I'd say about 95% of websurfers are using browsers that support CSS. 5.x version browsers support most all CSS, and most websurfers are using IE5. I'd say its safe to use CSS.<br />
<br />
IE3 has very little support of CSS and Netscape3 does not support CSS at all maybe. Netscape4.x has spotty support of CSS.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
kevin<!--content-->yes, that would be about right. I found in Webmonkey that about 77% of all web users use a css capable browser.<!--content-->In regards to css standards, it is true that most users have access to css-enabled browsers. You are more than safe to go ahead and implement style sheets.<br />
<br />
And until there is 100% saturation, you can always add a simple javascript to detect browser type. based on the return info, you can set up one style sheet for netscape and IE, respectively.<br />
<br />
if netscape version 4 or higher, use this style....if IE version 4 or higher, use this one...else, dont use one...<br />
<br />
If you work on large, multi-page sites, it is a great workaround for cross browser difficulties...<br />
<br />
<br />
john<!--content-->Originally posted by jollyfactory <br />
yes, that would be about right. I found in Webmonkey that about 77% of all web users use a css capable browser. <br />
<br />
Webmonkey is a good website but watch those CSS articles, the newest one is already 2 years old and some are 4 years old. <br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
kevin<!--content-->

Back