wide table and left margin

liunx

I am upgrading my Visible Policy site. As part of the upgrade, almost all pages will have a left border image. For most pages, I like the look.<br />
<br />
On -> this page (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dbatitan.home.att.net/vp/vl_ror.html">http://dbatitan.home.att.net/vp/vl_ror.html</a><!-- m -->) <-, though, there is a problematic wide table. What do you think of the following options?<br />
use a negative margin and let the table partially overwrite the border image<br />
use the normal margin and force users to scroll to see the full table<br />
don't use the site's border image on this page<br />
force a small font so the table fits well<br />
(NOTE: I 'surf' with an 1152x864 screen resolution and a size 18 default font. Those of you who use a size 12 or 14 font may wonder what my problem is. :) )<br />
<br />
Right now I have chosen the first option. All but the last seem to be reasonable design choices. The last violates my rule about using the user's defaults as much as possible.<br />
<br />
What options haven't I thought of?<!--content-->Actually, you get a side scroll in 800x600 res as well (although not in 1024x768, at least not for me)<br />
<br />
Personally, I think side scrolling is the devil's spawn and should be avoided at all costs.<br />
<br />
My vote would go to either options 3 or 4. Mind you, I always insist that there's only one Option1.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->You should design for 800*600 screens, but this means you get to design at 750 pixels and so are restricted a little further. Design at 750 as this is the lowest common denominator in terms of live space when taking out scroll bars etc.<br />
<br />
Have you considered having the table open up in a new window? Perhaps having a smaller imagethumb nail of it in the main page then using the target="_blank" attribute to have it open in a new window.<br />
<br />
Other suggestion would be to reduce the width between the table cells. By looking I reckon you could grab back at least 100 pixels. It would looked condensed so I would then suggest using very light borders to differentiate between the table columns.<br />
<br />
Overall I would say drop the border. Having read quite a bit of what your online thesis is about I feel that it isn't pertinent to your theme. That would be my strongest solution. If people are going to read your dialogue then the type of person who would be interested to do so wouldn't give two thoughts about your choice of border.<br />
<br />
Good luck in whatever you decide.<!--content-->

Back