why oh why do includes not work?

liunx

Hi,
I've posted this question in a variety of ways and I just cannot get my includes to work.
I have an a-z listing and I need to keep updating the links and this listing (menu) is going to be on 100+ pages so I thought I'd give includes one more try.

I saved the a-z menu as az.asp and I put this code in the area where the menu should appear:
<!--#include file = "az.asp"-->

I saved my base file as books.htm, but that didn't work so I saved it as books.asp.
I then uploaded them to my server, which supports asp (so my service provider said).
they are both in the same directory, but no menu is appearing. Please help. It would make my life so much easier. :dunce:First things first, try loading az.asp by itself.
If it's just a listing and doesn't need any variables from books.asp (which I'm guessing it doesn't if it started off as books.htm :P) Does it load properly by itself? (Remember, check the View Source through IE to see if something is there that's not showing up on the screen)

To test the ASP-ability of your server do this.......create a page called test.asp and put the following in it

<% response.write("hello world")%>

Upload that to your site and try to open it in a web browser and see if you see "Hello World" or "<% response.write("hello world")%>".

I'd imagine one of those should un-earth the problem.

It'd be odd that there'd be a serious problem with az.asp if you're not getting some error someplace and it's just not showing.

Back