Why is PHP's utf8_encode breaking my utf-8 string?

analanalanal

I'm doing a kind of roundabout experiment thing where I'm pulling data from tables in a remote page to turn it into an ICS so that I can find out when this sports team is playing (because I can't find anywhere that the information is more readily available than in this table), but that's just to give you some context.I pull this data using cURL and parse it using \[code\]domDocument\[/code\]. Then I take it and parse it for the info I need. What's giving me trouble is the opposing team. When I display the data on the initial PHP page, it's correct. But when I write to an ICS file, special UTF-8 characters get messed up. I thought \[code\]utf8_encode\[/code\] would solve that problem, but it actually seems to have the opposite effect: when I run the function on my data, even the stuff displayed on the page (which had been displaying correctly), not in the separate ICS file (which was writing incorrectly), is incorrect. As an example: it turns "In?ija" to "In?ija."Any tips or resources as far as dealing with UTF-8 strings in PHP? My server (a remote host) doesn't have \[code\]mbstring\[/code\] installed either, which is a pain.

Back