Why do umpires make such terrible calls?

theanswerguru

It's obvious to me that the officiating in the Rays games has been one sided. Another wrong call on a rundown between 2nd and 3rd was so blatant that a one eyed ump could have got it right so it's obvious that it was either just plain crooked officiating or simply an ump that is inept. Theses guys need to be fired.<br />
The Rays swept the White Sox regardless of the cheating by the officials....... PERIOD! They won that game fair n square.<br />
Edit... White Sox... you must be kidding or just plain blind. The baserunner is NOT allowed to go out of the baseline to initate contact which AJ did. Aybar had clearly turned toward the outfield to get out of the way. Cheating is cheating and this was blatant!<br />
Edit.. Madcap you are an embarrassment. It's obvious when you witness a blatant wrong call and you just can't accept that it was a wrong call. The Rays continue to outplay inferior teams even with the one sided officiating they still took 2 of 3 from the Sox.<br />

WhiteSox

Alright, rethink this a bit. It was obvious that Willy Aybar hit AJ in the pickle, thus making it an obstruction call on Aybar. But AJ did make a move that made Aybar run into him. That, my friend, is called smart ball. It has been in baseball for a long time, and will stay in baseball. AJ made a heads-up play there, he knew that he could get away with it. And also, it was Aybar's job to get out of the way, which he didn't! AJ had to turn arround! Regardless, it was the right call because AJ was hit, so Aybar would have to be called for obstruction. But seeing as AJ lunged, it was be the wrong call, but a good move by AJ!

And one more thing, how did the Rays win the game? The score was tied at that point. If AJ was called out, there would be two out with a runner on first. Who's to say that Thome wouldn't have jacked a home run? Or the others. Are you assuming the Rays would have scored the next inning, and the White Sox would have no chance? The Sox could've still won that game, regardless of the call.

EDIT AJ was not out of the baseline. Out of the baseline is supposed to be an out, and I know for a fact that AJ was still in the baseline! The Rays ahve gotten their fair shares of calls in their favor over the years, when many weren't fans, and they are now. It happens all over baseball, and it's called SMART BALL! Maybe BJ Upton shouldn't have been so lazy in center! Maybe Aybar should've gotten out of teh way much quicker!

I have given up trying to convince Rays fans about this.

madcaplaughs30

You are an example of a crybaby fan who knows nothing about baseball

Newsflash Even if A.J. was called out, it was still a tie game. You Rays fans need to take a few refresher courses on the game of baseball, you're an embarrassment.

I totally agree with you 100%.. Yes.. we should have made that catch bottom of the 9th.. and this bad call isn't the reason for the loss of the game.. but it was indeed a HORRIBLE call.. and A.J. Pierzynski clearly went out of the baseline to hit Aybar.. but no surprise there.. he's known for his cheap shots like this!

MrB

I'm not bored enough to watch all the Rays games so far this year, but I'm willing to bet they have had some calls go their way too. 162 games...it all comes out very close to even in the end.

If you are a Rays fan, stop complaining and enjoy having the best record in baseball. There are fans of 29 other teams who wish they were doing so well.

Forget it. A.J. Pierzynski plays like a genius. In 2005 his play made the White Sox post season. If you didn't see that he was touched by the shortstop you are the blind one. People can't stand him because he's smart. Too bad. I'll take him any time for my team.