Where are the errors coming from and about rollover image sizes

liunx

Hey there:<br />
<br />
I have a site that is still a work in progress. I uploaded what I have so far to: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/waizen2/">http://www.geocities.com/waizen2/</a><!-- m --> to test it. However, when I Download <!--more--> the site in IE 6, I get a message on the status bar that I've had errors. I'm wondering what it's referring to. I don't get them in Netscape 6.2.<br />
<br />
The only thing I can think of is that it's related to the rollover images. When I roll the cursor over each image, they are very slow to switch.<br />
<br />
Each of my rollover images range between 2-4.5 k in size. Are these still too large? Can anyone think of anything else that might be the problem? Could it be some kind of Geocities thing?<br />
<br />
Any help is appreciated.<br />
<br />
Willi<!--content-->I don't get any errors when browsing with IE 6. Also, might I suggest a better way to make your rollovers? Seeing how you are making a simple background color change, I would recommend using CSS and div tags. If you are interested, I can help you get going...<!--content-->It says line 4 character 203 undetermined string constant. What confuses me is that line 4 is the title declaration. I think it means that one of your variables in your javascript that you call is not set, but I could be wrong.<!--content-->Thanks for responding. I just went to the site and didn't get any errors, either. However, the rollovers are still slow.<br />
<br />
Your suggestion to use CSS is an interesting one. I'm new to it and will start researching it. This, by the way is the second time you responded to one of my posts (I've been meaning to thank you for the last one...the one about how CNN creates a simple hyperlink rollover on their site) and mentioned CSS.<br />
Looks like somthing I do have to get into.<br />
<br />
So, if you have any suggestions, they are welcome. In the meantime, I will be hitting the books.<br />
<br />
Again, thanks.<br />
<br />
<br />
Originally posted by pyro <br />
I don't get any errors when browsing with IE 6. Also, might I suggest a better way to make your rollovers? Seeing how you are making a simple background color change, I would recommend using CSS and div tags. If you are interested, I can help you get going...<!--content-->Thanks for responding.<br />
<br />
Just FYI, I used Dreamweaver MX to do the site and generate the javascript. I used the following routine:<br />
<br />
insert > interactive images > rollover image<br />
<br />
Interesting that you noticed that the error took place on line 4, the title declaration. Not sure if this means anything in this case but I did notice that all my pages have the same title. I wouldn't think this would be a problem (I didn't mean for all to have the same title...the site is just a work in progress and left them the same out of sloppiness).<br />
<br />
Again, thanks.<br />
<br />
Willi<br />
<br />
<br />
Originally posted by thejoker101 <br />
It says line 4 character 203 undetermined string constant. What confuses me is that line 4 is the title declaration. I think it means that one of your variables in your javascript that you call is not set, but I could be wrong.<!--content-->Originally posted by waizen <br />
So, if you have any suggestions, they are welcome.I'll do one better. Attached is a CSS version of you navigation system. This has many benefits. <br />
<br />
1. It will be instantaneous<br />
2. It will be easy to change colors if you want<br />
3. It will be easier to add more links<br />
4. etc. etc. etc. :)<br />
<br />
Anyway, if you need me to explain what is going on, let me know. It is pretty straight forward, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.<br />
<br />
If you get a chance, pick up a book on CSS, it will do wonders for you. :D<!--content-->Oh, BTW, I think you JS error was with the geocities ad...<!--content-->Thanks. I'll try it out as soon as I can.<br />
<br />
<br />
Originally posted by pyro <br />
I'll do one better. Attached is a CSS version of you navigation system. This has many benefits. <br />
<br />
1. It will be instantaneous<br />
2. It will be easy to change colors if you want<br />
3. It will be easier to add more links<br />
4. etc. etc. etc. :)<br />
<br />
Anyway, if you need me to explain what is going on, let me know. It is pretty straight forward, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.<br />
<br />
If you get a chance, pick up a book on CSS, it will do wonders for you. :D<!--content-->Let me know what you think...<!--content-->

Back