What's the best way to get nicotine and tar and other nasties off walls and windows after you quit s

Puddinhead

My hubby and I recently moved our nasty habit to outdoors only (big leap for us). That was July 13. Our goal is to actually quit on October 10, when I turn 50. Our walls and windows are no doubt covered with nicotine. Our floors are all hardwood or laminate, and get cleaned periodically, so I'm not worried about them. Anybody been through this? Our walls are painted, wood, and wallpaper. Should we just repaint the painted walls? What's the best thing to wipe down the wood with? Vinegar? Mr. Clean wipes? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.<br />

AndrewM

I've been here before. The best bet it to re-paint the walls because the nicotine actually dies the paint. Windows are easly done with some windex and good elbo greese.

tarad

The tobacco resin does come off with Windex and lots (and I mean lots and lots) of rags. But, you may be better off to just paint over it, especially if it is flat paint to start with because any cleaners will take the paint right off too. For the wood you could try a cleaner with orange oil, like Awesome Orange, or similar. I use that to get the gunky tar off the ceiling fans in our room because they are wood. The ammonia in Windex or vinegar acid could damage your wood, so that may be your best bet. Sometimes it takes a lot of elbow grease to loosen the tar up. Good luck and wish you well with quitting )

mikep

vinegar works well 1 cup to a half gal. of water then use murphys oil soap. that should take care of the smell and grime, also air the furniture out or use a mild soulition vinegar and water. good luck

sanjosemom

Congrats on removing cigarettes from your house and eventually from your life. When I quit smoking I washed the walls with a mixture of warm water and ammonia just to remove the nicotine. I used a clean mop to get the wall, which were painted and they really came clean. Not sure how you would do wood work, maybe Murphy's wood soap.

The painted wood walls could be washed with ammonia and water. This doesn't require you to rinse after washing. TSP is great but needs alot of rinsing. There are special primers that are suppose to lock in the staining material. There is one called Zinzer and another a shellac based product by Binz. Not sure if I've got the spelling right. If you aren't going to clean the walls don't try to paint without priming with the proper product! If the wallpaper is a vinyl you could also wash it down. If it is real papery I would wet it and strip it off the wall. Ammonia and water is the best window cleaner around. Good Luck!

LizL

Quit now while you still can that way you have an early start on quitting. Rid all the ashtrays and cigarettes.

You may have to buy a new wardrobe though. Cigarette nicotine are all over your clothes, car, and it seeps through your pores on your skin. The reason for the new wardrobe is because of the smell. Your car will also have the smell too. The car you cannot do anything about it. You may think, smell? What smell? Cigarettes dull your senses and smells are very different from a non-smoker. When you quit, you'll want cigarettes constantly and the air will smell fresher and better than having to breathe in cigarette smoke. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous as smoking a cigarette.
For drapes, change them out.
If you have kids, you'll be doing them a grand favor. Preventing them from being smokers themselves.

My parents used to smoke. My father passed away to lung, brain, and adrenal gland cancer=smoking until he died. My mother had a severe heart attack that kept her in the hospital for a very long time on oxygen. Do you want to be on oxygen for the rest of your life? My mother spent seven days on oxygen and could not breathe without it. She went through torture to get back to her life.

As for the walls, if it's wallpater Bleach and soapy water. If it's enamel, bleach and soapy water. If it's flat paint, use Kilz and primary coat. There's no other way to get rid of the smell.

If you plan on selling your car to a non-smoker, they will not purchase it. Sorry for this bad information, but it's true. I will not step foot in a place where there is smokers and there are people smoking around the door. People have to realize that many people are highly sensitive to smoke. I'm talking about Asthmatics. People think asthma is just a joke. Believe me, I've been laughed at just because I was gasping like a gold fish and unable to get any air in. It's not fun when you cannot breathe, so if you smoke, think about the harm you're causing others. Whether they have asthma or some lung disease. Think of how they might feel when they pass through your smoke. They will not tell you you stink, but I will say something because it's my right as non-smoker to ask someone to move out of my way.

ttigresa

It is sooooo difficult for me to see all these answers when I know I have THE best answer for you. I moved into a house that had SERIOUS smokers living in it prior. We could NOT paint over it because the nicotine and tar bled through the dried paint. We went out and bought the Home Depot commercial cleaning product Zep 505 and the degreaser Purple Stuff in Walmart's automotive section and both worked very well (once sprayed on the walls the nicotine/tar just dripped down the wall). However, on the textured ceilings where we could not wash first we had to use the KILZ primer for indoors. My ceilings are now completely white. And after cleaning the walls first we were able to paint with no problem.

Things You?ll Need

Hydrogen peroxide
Rubbing alcohol
Cloth or soft-bristled brush
Dishwashing detergent
Clean towel

Step1
Remove stains from vinyl wallpaper covered walls, ceramic tile or stone such as marble or alabaster by combining two 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide 1 cup of warm water and 1 tsp. of rubbing alcohol. Rub the stains with a cloth or soft-bristled brush until clean.

Step2
Clean wood walls by combining 1 to 2 tbsp. of standard dishwashing detergent in hot water. Stir the mixture briskly until a heavy foam appears. Clean the stained areas by applying only the foam to a sponge or cloth and rubbing the area. Once clean, dry the area thoroughly with a clean towel.

Step3
Rejuvenate nicotine-covered, painted walls. Combine a 1/4 cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of laundry detergent and 2 quarts of hot water. Apply the solution to your walls with a sponge or cloth, rubbing until clean and wiping dry.

When adding fresh paint over nicotine stained walls, always clean your walls thoroughly and apply at least two coats of anti-fungicidal stain preventing primer, such as Kilz or BIN. Allow the primer to cure for two days before applying a fresh coat of paint. Avoid water-based paints, as nicotine is water soluble and will more easily penetrate the paint layers.