What ya see is what ya get ?

liunx

I am defining the font colour/size/weight etc...all with a CSS file. Now, I ask, say I have defined the font as arial green 14px bold, will this be the case in any browser ?<br />
<br />
Or is it still possible for the user to override my CSS and use their own choice of colour, size, etc....<br />
<br />
Just wondering if the CSS cannot be ignored by the browser setup etc...<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
Toot<!--content-->the user can change anything. they can even load there own style sheet and disregard yours.<br />
<br />
the best you can do is use "pt" instead of "px"<!--content-->Toot, what you have there for CSS will work the same - and look the same - on all browsers that have Arial fonts installed. You might try adding Helvetica (Mac version of Arial) and/or sans-serif. That'll cover most browsers for you.<br />
<br />
How the page looks will depend a lot on how a person has the browser set up. *g* To be honest? I'm not sure too many people really muck about with changing the colours or overriding the page attributes. Text size would be the greatest worry, I think, but setting the textzoom to 120% (or whatever) still works, regardless of how anything else is set up.<br />
<br />
Umm.... You're not going to use 14px text for *all* your text information, are you? That's a bit large, even for a Mac. 12px text looks okay on most screens, I think, but it's still a bit on the largish side.<br />
<br />
*g* For what it's worth to you, the average Mac can't see anything below 9px clearly, and even that's a bit of a strain to read, depending on the page, text and background colours. If you use px, it doesn't matter what computer is doing the reading, the text will always be the same size - 12 pixels high. Using pt, however, will change the font sizes, especially between Mac and PC. And you'd have to take screen size and resolution into consideration, too.<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->Many thanks. It now seems to work fine. I was unknowingly using pt instead of px although I set the css to px it would automatically change back to pt so I had to change it by hand.<br />
<br />
Cheers<br />
<br />
Toot<!--content--><shudder> I know *that* feeling. Glad to hear that you've got it straightened out, though. Good for you!<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->

Back