What Should I Do With This Site...

liunx

I live in a small town. Only one high school. And the school does well in most of their athletics. I know a lot of the kids that play, a lot of the parents, and a lot of the fans in general. I thought it would be great to start a site for the school's sports teams.<br /><br />Of course to be able to cover football/basketball/baseball/soccer/softball/golf/tennis/track/cross crountry/swimming/etc/etc I will need some help. So I am looking to get the high school's journalism class involved in writing articles, stories, and interivews for me. So I'd need management of authors.<br /><br />The front page would need a logo, of course. But banner ad(s) up top. All recent articles would be on the front page (from the last week or so.) I would like to have polls for visitors to participate in as well, but not a must. A calander for upcoming games/events too.<br /><br />I want to have a page for each of the sports where you can see a schedule, game results, articles specific to that sport, and maybe team/individual photos.<br /><br />I'd also need to have a community forum. I'm already familiar with IPB and phpBB. Are there particular CMS's that will fit that better, or should I go static and just use one of the afore mentioned forums?<!--content-->
I have no personal experience with it but hear a lot of good things about Macromedia's Contribute product. Check that out and if it fits the bill see if the school will go for helping out with the costs - it's not your $20.00 shareware type app.<br /><br />Sounds like a big project! Let us know when you get it going so we can see it. Sounds like fun though! Best wishes on it.<br /><br />By the way, you definitely want to look at CSS and templates to see how you can make it as easy to manage as possible.<!--content-->
Yeah..a big project. But if things fall right, one that could be sucessful. <br /><br />My first priority isn't making $$, but just having it be self supporting and popular. But I don't know if PostNuke or pMachine's ExpressionEngine or Xaraya or something like that is the best option or just going static and then using Contribute. There's a new version of Contribute out now, but you can get it on eBay for about $90 I think (Educational Version)<!--content-->
If you're willing to try and go down that road... phpNuke would be good for something like that.<br /><br />Otherwise, I'd just write up the software myself, lol...<!--content-->