What Is WebSite Mapping?

liunx

What is website Mapping, i originaly thought it was a site map, but after looking for information on the net, i have found definitions like this:<br />
<br />
Layout of your website to bring each segment of your target market through a predetermined channel of information in order to initiate a desired response. <br />
<br />
Website mapping begins with the planning process, then moves to the understanding and navigation of visitors, and finally to the management of the site by the producer-all of which this comprehensive guide covers lucidly.<br />
<br />
Website mapping can be used for three purposes: firstly to support the planning process, secondly the understanding and navigation of visitors, and finally the management of the site by the producer<br />
<br />
so can anyone explain to me what it really is??<!--content-->Sounds like a fancy word for directing visitors through links. For example, a visitor clicking 'apparment' on a relator webpage may not be taken directly to a list of available apparments but instead given a interim page with links such as 'why rent vs buy', 'upper west side +million appartments', 'selling your house when buying appartment'<br />
<br />
The choice of above will tell you a lot of the interest/scope of the visitor and allow you to display (map) the desired information. e.g. 'why rent vs buy' indicates an inexperienced user who you may interest with small houses in the sourrounding burbs instead, while 'selling your house ...' may indicate that the user may be existing house owner looking for an apparment in the city instead (possibily moving).<br />
<br />
A list of appartments on the upper west side would not have given you the above information.<br />
<br />
The layout of your site (including graphics and links) will channel information to the user to initiate a desired response (give information the visitor may be looking for)<br />
<br />
web mapping starts with planning process (what segments do you wish to channel visitors through) and then through understanding of how visitors navigate (do they respond to graphics, links, animations, etc). What is your target group and how do they respond to a webpage (this is called group targetting). <br />
<br />
The last quote you give is really just a summery: by site mapping you not only manage to deliver the required information, you are automatically lead to understand how visitors browse your site which in the end allow you to set up the website in the most efficiently managable way.<br />
<br />
In other words: the author of the quotes are trying to sell you on a system to design succesfull webpages.<!--content-->It is a series of web pages that moves from say an overview of a product, to more detailed stuff, to an order form page, seamlessly, but on a site where different content is supplied to different types of visitor so there may be several routes to that order form. I don't know a lot about it myself, having skimmed something a few weeks ago. It's another new buzzword, and may or may not last the distance.<!--content-->Thanks alot for that guys, i have a bit of a better picture of it now, if anyone else knows anything about it let me know too :)<br />
<br />
But yeh thanks for that guys :banana:<!--content-->

Back