What hourly rate should I charge for web development?

green_e_zeleno

I've done school projects dealing with websites using HTML, Javascript and some php. I'm by no means an expert in web dev (haven't really done it in a real job) but I can say that I know HTML pretty well....I am thinking of applying for a job with the Dpt. of Health in VA. They say that they are looking for someone and not a lot of experience is necessary. How much hourly salary should I try to negotiate with them....considering I'm not a very experienced guy.<br />

TerenceL

You may now how to program, but are you a designer? Is this an entry level position? Do you have a degree?

I'd say about $20/hr, if this is like a part-time thing and you don't have a college degree.

SCOTT

$15-$20 per hour maybe? With no experience though, you may have to settle for less.

Like the post below me, you may want to focus more on the experience you will gain, rather than money. The experience will go a long way in the future.

lotsofish

I would not ask for over $15 per hour. With your experience level, if you were able to get your foot in the door and get some experience (work there for at least a year or two) you would be doing good to either move up at your current job or apply for a better position at another company. Good luck!