Web page and screen resolution

liunx

I have a web page at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gotpansies.com">www.gotpansies.com</a><!-- w -->. When the page is viewed in a screen resolution of 1078x768 (something like that) the page looks perfect. But if the resolution is smaller than that the page doesn't fit and I have to scroll around to see it all. Is there a way to fix this so that my site is viewed perfectly no matter what the screen resolution is?<br />
<br />
Thank you.<!--content-->Design your page so that it fits whatever browser window space is given to it.<br />
You can start by getting rid of your WYSIWYG software and learn mordern methods of web development<!--content-->double posted<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=150334#post150334">http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showthre ... post150334</a><!-- m --><!--content-->I think your site is very cool and sexy, so please don't change it. I would only offer some ideas for you to take into consideration.<br />
<br />
Horizontal viewing area is one of the most important factors in site usability. There's no single statistic that is true, but I believe @ 600px by 350px in the mean viewable area for 800x600 browsers. Which should be the lowest resolution setting you should design to. Why? Arguably, there's still around 50% who view the web at 800x600. Laptops will keep this setting as a mandatory "lowest denominator" for a long time to come. If your site is a brochure or commerce site, this is what you are "supposed" to design to.<br />
<br />
Your page is visually huge in low resolution (800x600). Even in 1024-768, the text is very big. Your flash piece is also visually big. And positioned left and top, which is the area that the most important content is supposed to be. Hence, the address, contact, site objectives are in other areas - off of the "fold" and must be scrolled to view or utilize.<br />
<br />
Additionally, your navigation is right justified and sometimes un-viewable. There's human factor studies that suggest that right navigations are a usability faux pas. Compounded with the fact they could be un-viewable without scrolling, some layout changes alone could make the site more usable.<br />
<br />
Lastly, and I only offer this is as un-useful information. Business sites should use colors that represent the company. For example, most newspaper sites use a white background because news-paper is white. Network TV websites use darker, more contrasting colors because TV's are black and high-contrast. eCommerce sites almost always have blue as a primary color because blue is associated in the mind with trust or integrity. Your site was dark, but your company is landscaping. I want to see cloud white's and sky blue's. Grass green's and flower - reds and yellows. Okay, I may be taking this a little too far now. I suddenly hear "the sound of music" in my ears...<br />
<br />
You obviously have a great design and you could make it work with any color you chose. That's just some general useless criticism.<br />
<br />
By the way, the Detroit Red Wings are pansies:D<!--content-->

Back